Identifying fuel supply line

PK239

Reaction score
Hello all, putting electric fuel on my 97. Mounted my filters and pump, I cut into what I thought would be the supply line but im not getting any fuel draining from tank out of that line (I figured the supply line would
You must be registered for see images attach
surely drain, just ran tank low, not empty). I cut the bottom line on the frame rail (both upper and lower lines are same size). When looking at selecter valve, its the line that goes into the valve that is closest to the frame rail. I thought about blowing some air back up the line but i have everything hooked up topside, dont want to unhook any of my fittings (just being careful, its my first time doing this).. I tried to search, maybe I missed it, can anyone say that that line that goes into the valve nearest the frame is supply? Thanks for any help!

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel will not free-flow from the tank. This is why you need a fuel pump, to draw fuel from the tank.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well sometimes it will. Taken many diesel baths like that.
Iirc, the line going in closest to the frame is the feed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can suck diesel through 1, but not the other

PK239

Reaction score
Thankfully I cut the correct line then, just wanted to make sure before i went any farther, thanks for the info guys, I am very grateful for the great info and the knowledgable people on here that are willing to share what they know. My truck just passed 300k, going for 300 more!

PK239

Reaction score
I am finishing up my electric fuel, I have 3 wires left over after plugging the IPR back in, they all went to the factory fuel bowl. Should I just cap these all off? Also, my IPR connector had some type of sealant (looked red) on the plug, should some type of gasket/RTV be used on that particular connector?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You should replace the IPR pigtail.
That gooey red stuff is actually the seal. Should look like this.

As for the wires, I unpinned them from the connector.

PK239

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, much appreciated! I ran the truck for the first time today, am very happy with the results. I have been doing research on adding a cooler on the return line, I noticed the kit from diesel site has one. I was surprised at how hot the filters felt after a short drive empty. 79 Jasper, do you have a cooler on your return line? I can't seem to find many pictures on how people mounted theirs, I'm guessing something that won't hang down too low, mounted on the outside of the frame?? Thanks for any ideas!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Imo, I don't need a cooler.
If I was towing often, I might consider it. But even then, you won't tell a difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online