I need some help rebuilding my air pump

Reaction score
This is the air pump I have torn down and I have already made some mistakes. It came off a M35 military deuce and a half. I got for my deuce because it was missing one when I bought it. From what I have researched so far it is a Midland twin cylinder base mount. My intention was to just take it apart and replace all the gaskets. It was covered in grease so I figured they were leaking. It turned out the gaskets were all fine and the inside of it looked great. But it needs a good blasting and a new paint job anyway. I did finally find a company that can get me the parts but I only found one. I was hoping you all might know of some others so I can compare prices. Also, what are the torque specs on everything? And now for the biggest mess up I made. When I pulled the rotating assembly apart I got the pistons and caps out of order. I know that was a big screw up but right now I need to know how to fix it. I do not know which cylinder goes with which piston and with cap goes with which connecting rod. The cylinder walls look great and you can still see the hone marks on them. Being since all that looks new, do I still have to replace the piston rings? Any help will sure be appreciated; I have to get this slapped back together quick, fast, and in a hurry.
You must be registered for see images attach

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give the rods and caps a close look... there may be some assembly match marks on them which would be helpful..
In the future, when you do a tear down make a dot on the cap and matching rod with a center punch [just enough to make a mark you can find] on the same side of the rod and cap above the parting line.... #1 *[ * .... #2 **] ** .. you will never have this problem again, and the rod caps will always be oriented on re-assembly

Reaction score
Thanks man! That is some damn fine advice. I did find a 1 and a 2 on the caps. But there is nothing on the rods that I can see. I have not cleaned them yet so I might find some markings after I do.

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or those could reference what cylinder thos went to.

Haldex = Midland Brake Company

They're still selling remanufactured Midland Compressor designs, so they must have parts. Try contacting them.
http://epi.hbsna.com/products/catal...A0C7CECC4290A8BFAF846A28DCB8&dept_select=3070

I poked around some, they do have repair kits with bearings/rings/unloader valves, you just need to figure out what modern part number cross references to the old Midland part number.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find out what size they are supposed to be and have a machine shop resize the big ends. Takes about 10 minutes a rod and then you have no worries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance