I Need A Diesel

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need a Diesel Pickup!

For the short attention span readers like myself:

I have $10,200 of insurance money to work with to buy a diesel pickup. This will be my second diesel because the first one as you can see is a little hard to drive. I am open to cummins, powerstroke, or the duramax. I am able to buy a truck up to $20k but I'd rather not finance that much. I am looking for power and reliability and the ability to add aftermarket overtime. I plan to keep this truck for a while possible till it dies. What is the best diesel to buy?

The long version:
I wasn't sure how to include everything in the short version so I kinda ended it, but I need a diesel pickup. I used to own a 1996 Chevrolet 6.5TD Ext Long Bed until I slid on a dark icy road right into a tree.:cry: I was in the midst of trying to get power out of that engine but I know it doesn't compare to the newer diesels or even the old 5.9Ls or 7.3Ls. Now I have $10,200 of insurance money truckless and have not idea what to buy. I could buy a truck up to $20k but I would rather not finance that much. I am consistently looking up diesel engines and their capabilities. I am strictly buying the truck for the engine (considering power, reliability, and aftermarket) but I have a few problems. I found the ******'s to be one of the best because of its power and the endless options for aftermarket but the powerstroke is not too far behind it. I know the powerstroke will have less problems than the dodge but the dodge can yield more power. I haven't found anything about the duramax that caught my eye except the transmission and I was told they are only supposed to last 275k miles. Any ideas on what year and kind of diesel I should buy? I had my eye on the 96-98’ Cummins 12valve and the 99-02 powerstroke.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site;Sweet
I've recovered a few vehicles looking like your avi over the years. Most of the time, the driver didn't make it. You did pretty good if you made it out without much harm. My vote is for the Durge. If you can find one with manual trans, they're very bomb-able. The PSD is a good choice as far as overall package is concerned, but from raw power it's gonna have to be a Cummins. You're not gonna know what to do with yourself moving from a 6.5 to either choice:D;Sweet

rubberfish

Reaction score
Looks like you've already done some research.
You two choices would be the good ones. ;Sweet

Nice hit on your Chevy. :eek:
If you're thinking a D-Max, try for
an '05 or newer. Fewer bugs. :)
Welcome to the site. :cheers:

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean as far as problems with teh Cummins especially in regards to the 12-valve versions (eitehr the 1st Gen 89-93 or 2nd Gen 94-98). The other advantage to the Cummins, strictly from an economics standpoint, is that it is MUCH more fuel efficient. Heck my Goat got me 20mpg running up and down the interstate. With dielse prices what they are, there's a strong reason to go with the C. Aftermarket parts are easy adn repair parts seem to be less expensive, especially on the 1st generation. I'm a do-it-yourself type guy so I also like the idea that I don't have to have a degree in computers to be able to fix my truck. The mechanical injection is very simple and reliable.

If it was me, I'd look for a 94-98 12-valve Cummins. Right behind that would be a 1st Generation. For perspective, I bought my '93 Ram 350 with 150k miles on it in July last year for $6000. The only thing wrong with the truck is that the factory paint has faded pretty bad, but other than that it never gave me a single problem. Replacement parts for the engine and the truck itself are readily available and cheap.

Luck with your decision.

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the input rebel_horseman, I actually recently bought a truck. I bought a 1986 Ford Crew Cab 6.9L diesel the drive train is practically flawless. ;Sweet . I also love the mechanical diesels.;Really Too many problems happen with electronics. Don't get me wrong those new diesels are pretty sweet:cool but too luxurious for me.

I basically bought it because my father probably would have not talked to me if I bought a dodge.:dunno I love the cummins but from 94-02 the truck itself do have a few problems. Everything imaginable happened to my cousins 2000 dodge cummins -cuss and gave my father a hate toward dodge. I love the 89-93 style dodge but I am still unsure the difference between the 1st and 2nd gen cummins. I guess everything around the cummins isn't strong enough to hold up. LOL

Now I have a pretty solid truck:backoff except for the body rust with some good rears (A Dana 60 :yell: ) I really want to put a mechanical cummins in it I love the way they sound. The cummins is by far my favorite diesel.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Well the basic difference between the 1st Gen Cummins is the injection system. On the '89-93 trucks, there is a mechanical injection pump called the VE. It's fuel-lubricated and very similar to the VP44 in the 24-valve trucks except thta it's completely mechanical. The injectors are also slightly different thant the 2nd generation 12-valve trucks as well and the whole system operates at a lower injection pressure which is why their power capacity is much less than the P7100 pumped trucks from 94-98.

The rear axle of choice is a Dana 70 in my truck. About the only weak link in the 1st Gen trucks like mine is the Getrag 5-speed if it's not taken care of. There are kits out there to convert it to a NV4500 which is something that I'm considering when I get home for good.

Luck with the new OB.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726