I love my IDI because

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I wouldn't say I love mine - but like is a good term.

I think the IDI is low on gears to survive in today's fuel prices. I love the truck, but the engine starts and runs. That's why it still there. I want to do a six speed conversion to it.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
cause it feels GOOOOOOD :D

My friends ask why I don't get a VW TDI or something along those lines for the mileage. The cost of fuel keeps going up. My wife and I look at fuel like it's blood. Gotta have no matter what it costs, doesn't do any good to complain about it. Just fill 'er up. I can afford it(for awhile anyway LOL). Our trucks still look good. My F350 2WD CC is our road vehicle. It's comfortable and ,to me, rides like a Caddy. I have no use for a car or a new truck payment.

Tom

obinella

Reaction score
John Haggerty said:
I don't know why, but I still drive the IDI 600 miles to work instead of my Honda!
man, thats one hell of a commute! what time do you get up in the morning?

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I love mine for all the reasons listed above & before, but also for some other reasons. I didn't understand at all what I bought when I laid down the cash for it. I started driving this truck when I joined the Fire Dept. It was the first piece of equipment at the station I was allowed to repsond to emergency calls in & the first one I was checked out to drive "lights & sirens". I took my first fire call EVER in this truck (been in 14 years) & I drove it on it's last emergency response the nite I bought it from the FD. Even back then I thought it was a cool looking truck. I didn't know what IDI or DI meant when I bought it, but I knew I had to have it. But I love this truck for deeper reasons too. My IDI sort of led me to all the important things in my life. I met my wife in the Fire Acadamey (which I used to drive to in the IDI), If it wasn't for the FD I wouldn't be driving trucks for a living, I wouldn't have two beautiful little girls if I hadn't met my wife back then, nor would I live where I live & so on. Not all directly tied to the IDI but close enough. It all started because I thought it was a cool truck & wanted to be able to drive it. But enough mushy stuff.........

It will take a stock PSD on a good day :D

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
apextrans said:
I love mine for all the reasons listed above & before, but also for some other reasons. I didn't understand at all what I bought when I laid down the cash for it. I started driving this truck when I joined the Fire Dept. It was the first piece of equipment at the station I was allowed to repsond to emergency calls in & the first one I was checked out to drive "lights & sirens". I took my first fire call EVER in this truck (been in 14 years) & I drove it on it's last emergency response the nite I bought it from the FD. Even back then I thought it was a cool looking truck. I didn't know what IDI or DI meant when I bought it, but I knew I had to have it. But I love this truck for deeper reasons too. My IDI sort of led me to all the important things in my life. I met my wife in the Fire Acadamey (which I used to drive to in the IDI), If it wasn't for the FD I wouldn't be driving trucks for a living, I wouldn't have two beautiful little girls if I hadn't met my wife back then, nor would I live where I live & so on. Not all directly tied to the IDI but close enough. It all started because I thought it was a cool truck & wanted to be able to drive it. But enough mushy stuff.........

It will take a stock PSD on a good day :D

:hail :hail :hail :hail Your the man

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like mine because it towed a 3 ton travel trailer across the USA 4 times and down into Mexico 6 times and never let me down. I bought it new and recently spent about $10K on bodywork, a rebuilt and beefier transmission, new radiator, lift pump, thermostat.
I trusted it enough to tow again 800 miles into Mexico, across the Sierra Madre with 230K miles on the clock. It got us there and back without a hiccup last month.
When I look under the hood of any newer diesel I see it's hard to work on and expensive to fix.

(1993 F-250XL, 7.3 235K miles)

pafixitman

Reaction score
Went to Kauffman's open house / dyno in Dillsburg, PA on Saturday. Saw 1 Liberty diesel, 2 Duramax, a couple 6.0, very few 7.3 strokes and more Dodges than you could imagine.

You can't see anything but wires and connectors under the hood of almost all of 'em!

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 trips across the country pulling a 6300 pound car/trailer combo.

MANY trips pulling a 10,000 pound horse trailer.

The truck is definitely unique. New or fully restored, the '87-'91 trucks are the most beautiful machines I've ever seen.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
2 trips across the country pulling a 6300 pound car/trailer combo.

MANY trips pulling a 10,000 pound horse trailer.

The truck is definitely unique. New or fully restored, the '87-'91 trucks are the most beautiful machines I've ever seen.

I guess that's an acquired taste. I love the 80-86 front end, and the 92-97 front end, but hate the other ones.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
82fordtruck said:
I guess that's an acquired taste. I love the 80-86 front end, and the 92-97 front end, but hate the other ones.

I don't hate the 87-91 front end, which I have. But I'm with ya new the 92-97 body work. Not that I'm wishing it, but if anything ever happens to the front end, it will be replaced with newer style stuff.

tractorman86

Reaction score
:Sly anybody know anything about the 6-speed swap?! i have been wanting to do it but cant find the tranny:frustrate and dont know how tuff the transplant will be

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance