i cant turn my ip pump!!

pottenza

Reaction score
Hi everyone!! one more problem with my E350 !!!

i fanaly reach the nuts and loose them...but i dont know why....i can turn my pump in any direction!! i put a 3/4 wrench on the pump....and i cant turn it?? any idea what that can be ?

thank you!!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I don't know what the hell you're talking about, but that's not how you turn the fuel up.
Get a picture of what you're trying to turn.
The fuel adjustment is under the little triangular plate on the passenger side of the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Oh god. Been a long day.
How many nuts did you loosen? Should be three. And did you loosen them enough?
The fuel lines will hold it also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok... So you loosened the three nuts. Thats one on either side and one on top. It could be the hard lines are keeping it from moving too or the o ring that seals the pump so oil does not leak out can be stuck too. Try loosening the lines from the back of the pump. Usually only about 4 are easy to reach on a van or truck. So the lower ones can be loosened at the injector too. I'm betting the pump will move them.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
not have all three of the nuts loose around the head of the pump? if so, it does take a good bit of force to turn the pump. you re going to be fighting with the fuel lines to twist them some....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How loose are the nuts?

Likely just tight, that's all I can think of or maybe some silicone was installed to stop a leak and is kinda acting like a brake holding it in place.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guzzle down a couple of Old Blue Molton beer. Then put some force on the wrench, hold the wrench to turn, then smack it with a BFH.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Another idea came to me. If you can remove the front cover that hides the three drive bolts. You know the 12 point 5/16 heads ones. If you can see the gear take a punch and hammer and give it a few soft hits. With the nust loose like you say then the gear wont be move much at all. Any movement there will free up a possible stuck o ring.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Here's another one. Make sure the fast idle solenoid isn't against the thermostat housing. that will keep the pump from advancing. I just had that happen to me recently. VERY EMBARRASSING! It's a good thing no one else around here knows any thing about these engines or I would have never lived that down. You can bend the solenoid bracket slightly toward the pump. You might have to adjust your fast idle afterward.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
If the three bolts holding the IP to the tower are loose and it still won't turn you may have to loose some fuel lines from the pump. When I times mine I believe I used a small pry bar wedged in there somehow. Didn't take a ridiculous amount of force to turn in but I had to use some leverage to apply pressure to keep it in position while tightening the 3 bolts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online