I’m confused. Lol.

JustinC00

Reaction score
Okay guys. Here’s one for you. I replaced my thermostat yesterday and all went well I believe. No leaks after getting it up to temp and driving it around, and letting it cook twice. Here’s the weird part. As y’all know you have to take off all that stuff on that side of the engine(alternator, vaccuum pump, and fuel filter bracket, etc.). So I took that stuff off. The fuel filter ended up draining, and I put it back together and reconnected all the lines for fuel and the alternator and pump. Here’s where it gets odd. I drove it around and all of a sudden the tru k feels like it’s not sluggish anymore. I know they aren’t race trucks. But it doesn’t feel like it struggles anymore. And I have the pump turned up a bit and there used to be just a bit of black smoke. Now it’s excessive if I really stomp on it. Do you guys think maybe I have some junk in the filter that was plugging it up or what??

JParson

Reaction score
What brand filter is it? I recommend Wix filters for everything.
How old is the filter?
You can always get a new filter and cut the old filter open to inspect the media to see if there is a lot of trash in it. You never know. You may have trash in your tanks. A inline fuel filter will help with monitoring trash.

JustinC00

Reaction score
The filter is only a couple months old. I changed it with the oil. I think it’s a Donaldson. Idk if that’s a major brand. Lol I’m just confused as to why my truck all of a sudden has all kinds of smoke and “power”(don’t know how else to explain it), after pretty much draining the filter

JustinC00

Reaction score
I appreciate the recommendations for filters, but I’m not looking to replace a pretty much brand new filter. I’m confused about the sudden excess of black smoke that wasn’t there before as well as the lack of struggle when getting up to speed

JustinC00

Reaction score
Do y’all think my valvetrain finally cleaned itself up, or the filter was clogged and isn’t now?

JParson

Reaction score
I appreciate the recommendations for filters, but I’m not looking to replace a pretty much brand new filter. I’m confused about the sudden excess of black smoke that wasn’t there before as well as the lack of struggle when getting up to speed
I recommended cutting the old filter open and checking for trash. Trash in the system can block fuel flow and lower the PSI. Then turning the IP up to add more fuel. Once the flow was restored by draining the filter AKA maybe some trash, which causes the excess black smoke. Due to the fuel being turned up to high. Just a recommendation. I understand the added cost of filters but diagnosing requires steps. Hopefully you get it worked out.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The filter is only a couple months old. I changed it with the oil. I think it’s a Donaldson. Idk if that’s a major brand. Lol I’m just confused as to why my truck all of a sudden has all kinds of smoke and “power”(don’t know how else to explain it), after pretty much draining the filter
Donaldson is a very big player in the filter market. Probably one of the biggest OEM providers of air filter systems in the truck and equipment markets. I buy a lot of Donaldson filters and generally speaking, all of their products are good quality.

I don’t know what is going on presently with your truck though. I guess if it starts acting up again, the filter is definitely the first place I would look.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long was your filter there? Did you turn the fuel up yourself? Ever replace the filter yourself before this? These tanks and fuel lines have 30 years worth of rust and grit in the tank and fuel lines. Filter picks up quite a bit. I'd suspect that the IP was turned up for a loss of power due to the filter clog, dropping the fuel pressure, hence the IP turned up. I'd recommend turning it down a bit.

backyard_mechanic

Reaction score
If it was me id run the old filter until the truck starts acting the same as it did before, and then cut the filter open and inspect. besides that there is nothing else I could imagine that would cause that. I also just did a thermostat myself.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As to your post jemima. That might be the case. I like this setting just fine. I think she was just clearing the air out of her throat yesterday. She’s back to normal today. Thank you guys.
Are you saying it's not running with more power and smoke today but it was yesterday and you didn't change anything?

Sudden increased power is nearly always caused by air getting into the IP. It messes with the advance and tries to get the throttle wide open. So you may have experienced that.

As for your filter letting something go, I doubt it because the surface area of the filter is pretty massive. Nothing I can think of could really block the flow that would also fall out when left on its side or whatever.
It can happen on little fuel pump pre-filters, I've been there and done that, where it will choke out the engine, let it sit a whole and it'll run again, the choke out and repeat. What a PITA that day was! Of course once you figure out the problem it's obvious...but in your case I would say not likely at all with such a large filter.

JustinC00

Reaction score
Lol the truck seems to run a bit better is what I’m saying y’all. Lol I think she cleared out her pipes. It’s back to normal after driving to town today. I’ll get back if something happens

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online