Hydroboost too big? What could possibly go wrong?

Camarogenius

Reaction score
I'm scrapping out my F-600 parts truck. I'm harvesting the hydroboost to use on my F-250.
I've dealt with GM hydroboost before, and this unit on the F-600 is several times the size of what I've had on chevy P/U trucks.
Also, it has it's own PS pump dedicated to it.
The truck has a gear driven ps pump on the motor, and a second belt driven pump that runs the hydroboost.
If I did install this monster on my F-250, how would it act? Would my brakes be super touchy? Would I be able to stop a locomotive?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you sure the 2nd pump isn't for the emergency/parking brake system on the truck? I have to deal with this system on a couple of '89 f700's.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have an idea what pressure the booster works at, both from the pump and the line pressure it's good for? I don't think your brakes will be super touchy, as long as you use an F250 master cylinder with it, I'd imagine the F600 has bigger brakes that need more fluid in them so if you drop in the F600 master cylinder in the F250 then you may have funny things going on with the pedal feel and travel.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
One pump is for the hyroboost hydraulic parking brakes. The P/S pump usally runs the brake boost.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
Do you have an idea what pressure the booster works at, both from the pump and the line pressure it's good for? I don't think your brakes will be super touchy, as long as you use an F250 master cylinder with it, I'd imagine the F600 has bigger brakes that need more fluid in them so if you drop in the F600 master cylinder in the F250 then you may have funny things going on with the pedal feel and travel.

i agree totally the master cylinder is ment for those bigger brakes if its a bendix hydromax unit the f250 master cylinder will not bolt up because the bendix unit has 4 mounting bolts on the master cylinder

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The system is called Bendix Hydromax, The pump is for both the booster and hydromaxi-can park brakes. The system will NOT work on a pickup. the MC is about a 2 inch bore and the parts are not cheap. And they are a PITA to work on when they have been jury rigged. And yeah I have some experience in this. Imo anything with more than a 15 k rating should have airbrakes.
SOrry for the rant ,I hate Hydromax.

rip van sparky

Reaction score
My GMC 7500 has two pumps as well, one for the hydromax and one for the power steering, which doesn't work worth a crap, by the way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online