Hydroboost - need help

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Ok...transmission is in, acting very nice! 1900 at 60 MPH on the GPS, I'm quite pleased. Shifts nice, seems to have plenty of grip and truck seems to run very nicely with the ZF5 addition.

So, yesterday, I started on the hydroboost. Booster is on, lines are ran, etc. Now I just have to change the pedal. Was just wondering, can the pivot rod come out of there without removing the housing it pivots in? I put new bushings in the thing a coupld years ago, and don't remember removing the aluminum/pot metal piece, but darn, sure seems tight up in there! I had the column out before as well, put the big clutch/firewall repair kit in it, so I may well have had it out...not sure.

Anyway, how are you guys changing the brake pedal, removing the whole works or just taking the nuts off each end of the pedal pivot rod and sliding it out?

thanks in advance

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Did you find a superduty pedal or are you going to weld a new pin in? BTW I got a superduty MC and pushrod in the mail yesterday. I am oh so close to getting this done

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Ah I see. Where did you get it may I ask? And doesnt it matter if the donor truck is auto or standard?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nope... You need to take the entire peddle support out. The shaft wont slide out nor can you reach the jam nuts on the end of it. Seven fasteners and its out of the truck but... I just hate working down under any dash... Hurts my already sore injured back......-cuss

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope... You need to take the entire peddle support out. The shaft wont slide out nor can you reach the jam nuts on the end of it. Seven fasteners and its out of the truck but... I just hate working down under any dash... Hurts my already sore injured back......-cuss
yup. your goal is to have what you see on my desk. otherwise it will be a exercise in frustration.

Attachments

• SL370795.JPG
    SL370795.JPG
    292.7 KB · Views: 72

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The auto trans truck has a smaller diameter shaft in it so don't think you can use one of those in a standard tran rig. The auto trans trucks are easy to get the peddle out of. You just pull off the clips on the shaft ends and slide out the shaft. The standard trans peddle assembly is heavier and the shaft has jam nuts on each end of it.....-cuss

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... I just hate working down under any dash... Hurts my already sore injured back......-cuss

It's so bad for me, I take the time to take the front seat out. It helps quit a lot and it's worth the extra work for me. I also found it's easier to take the seat back off first, then take the seat bottom part out, which makes it lighter. The hardest part is getting the seat belts through the slots in the seat.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I used to like you guys too! :)

Seat is out because I'm putting a newer one in it. I have both end nuts off, just didn't see how it would all come out with the assembly in place! Guess for once I'm not so happy about being right! :)

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Well, got back on it...unreal is all I can say. All the bolts are out of the pedal bracket, see no way it is coming out without removal of the steering column, so guess that's where I'll start tomorrow. What a pain in the ass POS!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, got back on it...unreal is all I can say. All the bolts are out of the pedal bracket, see no way it is coming out without removal of the steering column, so guess that's where I'll start tomorrow. What a pain in the ass POS!
now you have a understanding of what the parts puller went through.:D

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Did you find a superduty pedal or are you going to weld a new pin in? BTW I got a superduty MC and pushrod in the mail yesterday. I am oh so close to getting this done

Would I just be able to weld a new pin on the existing pedal arm?

Sorry for the hijack!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes.. A pin can be welded on the peddle after you drill a large enough hole in the peddle for it. But I have no idea how that could be done with the peddle still in the truck. I don't recall removing or even loosening the steering colume in the truck I pulled this peddle assembly from....:dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tony

Members online