HYDROBOOST BRAKES

Oilslinger

Reaction score
Hydr vs VAC

I've owned CHEVY with Hydro, and now I own Ford with Vac. The chevy stopped on a dime WHEN the engine was running,if you had engine shutoff on ya you had 2 chances to get her stopped before reserve would run out , after that:yell: get out of the way! Most of the locals in my neck of the woods have mentioned about vac. problems! So far knock on wood I haven't had any! So I'm still on the fence to which way to go? 2000 FORD F350 :thumbsup:

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you lose a fan belt to the power steering pump, you will also lose hydroboost. This is also true of trucks with vacuum assisted brakes, as the pump is belt-driven. I think the chances of a diesel engine turning off while underway is a rare occurence. All the engine needs is fuel to keep running and a little electricity to keep the fuel solenoid in the "on" position. A gasser is another story.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A belt comming off in either v-belt or serpentine systems will kill your brakes. In all my years of driving a chevy hydroboost only once have I lost the brakes because a belt came off and took out everything. I was along the Columbia River in Washington pulling a 10,000 lb 5th wheel down a very steep hill. The trailer brakes saved our lives. Otherwise I'm using hydroboost on everything. Plenty of cars, vans and mustangs are running the hydroboost. It just plain has more braking pressure available at your foot for stopping.

KR69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize that this would cause such a debate!! I think for now I will try to get my vac system working properly just for $$. If I'm still disappointed then may look into hydroboost in the future. Thanks to everyone for the information.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
My Ma's Superduty had the powersteering pump go out & that also took care off the hydro boost. If you are a little low on powersteering fluid & come up to a hill (like a drive way) holding your foot on the brake it will vibrate the pedal. Everyone thought it was something to do with the ABS till this happened then it made sense.
I'm still not sure which system I like better. I think a rear disc conversion would help out too.