Hydro Plates Completed

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As some of you know I've had a problem with freeze plugs on my new motor. Lost 2 and the second loss burned down the motor at 5200 miles run time. Not a good thing. Anyway I made up 2 plates 1/2 inch thick for the heads. All the oil cooler, thermostat housing, water pump and coolent inlet to block plates are out of 3/8 inch aluminum. I will be testing the block after the freeze plugs are installed. That way I hope to be ahead of the problem. My International service manual states to presserize the block to between 40 & 60 lbs with air. I'm not that crazy to add that much pressure because of the 7 1 1/2 inch pieces of shrapnel that could tag me or anybody else. Anybody got a flack vest thats not being used? Every side and end of the block has a freeze plug in it except the front. Maybe that will be the best place for the wife to stand when she pressureizes the block!!!:D :rotflmao No, not really. I'll be in harms way. I couldn't live to long without her. She keeps me centered......:love:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
put 30 psi on it and then tap the freeze plugs, you dont need another overhaul in retirement, time to have fun.
russ

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Well whats wrong with 60? If you really wanna know if something is gonna blow up, 60 psi will tell you.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
We generally used 20 on the pressure test bench. They should never see anymore than that. Not to mention, air will come out of places that water will not, we had a pressure test bench that could pressurize water and many times we could find a leak using air pressure and soapy water that would not show up when a casting was pressurized with water.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
it might be a good idea to pressure test the block filled with water. we did this for oil tanks at a company i worked for. i asked and the reasoning was that if the tank blew (a few did) water does not compress and will loose its pressure immediatly unlike air which can take a while to decompress.

try soap and air on low for leaks then high with water to see if they will pop out again. that would be my suggestion, 60 sound high but if it holds that it should hold anything.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If I do use water it will be after the air test at around 25 or 30 lbs. When I was working we would hydro feedwater heaters to 4200 lbs checking for leaks. I really am aware of the pressure potentials of water as compared to air pressure. Fluids will not compress like gas will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online