HPOP Oil separate from crankcase oil?

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The crankcase makes its way up to the HPOP reservoir and is used there to fire off the injectors. So when you change your oil you are refreshing that "Top End Oil" too. However, I have also heard that that is more theory than what actually happens. If the later is true, the "Top End Oil" is only partly changed when you do an oil change, which means it gets more miles on it, breaks down and is not as effective at driving injectors- a role you want performed as effectively and efficiently as possible.

I was thinking of getting a sample of "Top End Oil" and crankcase oil and sending the two in to Blackstone for analysis, but that would be kind of expensive, especially when one of the guys here may already know its an unnecessary test.

So what's the wisdom on this "Top End Oil"

BigRedWeather

Last edited:

thel33tone

Reaction score
forgive me for being a newbe but truck isnt running and i cant find a topic anywhere to help, i took the hpop reservoir off and when i crank the truck over no oil comes up. its in the good part on the dipstick. for the longest time i had an injector pressure too low code (1283 i think) about 2500 miles later it just wouldnt start. i think its either the high pressure or low pressure oil pump. before i took the hpop reservoir off i filled it with new oil and cranked it, nothing. also the whole while monitoring the pressure regulator (which i just installed to try to fix the truck and it didnt so thats brand new) duty cycle and the injector pressure and absolute injjector pressure. both are 0 flat lined all the time. no disconnected wires and the buzz test works great. i had full power till the day it died. i also change the fuel filter. i cranked the truck with the fuel filter cap off and it filled up so i know its got fuel. i also bled the air out after changing the filter via the shrader valve. thanks to whoever can help.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
the powerstrokehelp guy is very knowledgeable but this part here is just a gimmick to get more money out of his customers that don't know better. you could suck the HPOP dry the first time but after that all you doing is replacing good oil. The heads are below the HPOP so theres no way the oil can drain back to it to be reused so it has to go to the pan and back up thru the pump

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent