How to improve performance/mileage

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your air cleaner.

I still have the stock setup on my truck, with the intake up by the grill. Well, this morning I was going to make a trip to the local parts store for a fuel filter and I decided just to check the air cleaner in case it was looking a bit nasty from all the winds we've been having lately, and a clean filter is cheap insurance. Anyway after popping the lid on the unit, I discovered that during the recent storms some mice came across toilet paper and made a HUGE nest inside. I mean, the backside was stuffed tight and the inlet was even plugged rather well. Fricken Mice!

I think it's time to put in the mesh inlet screen like I always thought of doing.

And I just checked it this past weekend!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I bought a filter for mine the other week just cause I was there getting parts. I'm glad I did, that old filter was plugged, to the point wheeee the paper filter had a couple of the ribs stretched open to suck air in (if you know what I mean)

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has a K&N Washable with a sticker on the air cleaner saying it was equipped with one. I always figured all of them had that

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the part number of the K&N? I've been looking for one for my 86 with the stock (for now) air cleaner.

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know, ill check in a few. Im hoping to go get a bronco for $400 bucks real quick. Ill post something in this thread about it shortly.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the meantime I just picked up a filter at the Auto store. It's running great now! I sear to God I just overhauled that thing.

And along with that, I hooked up a solenoid to release vacuum from the C6 to aid as a brake. Since the line was running to the tranny constantly, this was kinda nice. But eventually I am going to turn my money priorities to getting the little things straightened out. I HATE a jury rigged machine, especially wires hanging everywhere.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to clean a mouse nest out of my heater box last year...but thank God they can't get INSIDE the truck like they did on my Thunderbird.

I hate rodents.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I'm still getting crap come flying out of the vents every once in a while. Even though they havent been in there for over 3 years!

Rodents suck X3!

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck sat for a few years and wasps got up in there and there was quite a few down in the vents and under the dash. When I got it going every once and awhile one would fly out, got stung a few times. Their all gone now thank god.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I had to clean a mouse nest out of my heater box last year...but thank God they can't get INSIDE the truck like they did on my Thunderbird.

I hate rodents.

You should have seen my 91. Had one starring at me while disassembling it, :angel: .22 took care of him.:backoff

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Check your air cleaner.

I still have the stock setup on my truck, with the intake up by the grill. Well, this morning I was going to make a trip to the local parts store for a fuel filter and I decided just to check the air cleaner in case it was looking a bit nasty from all the winds we've been having lately, and a clean filter is cheap insurance. Anyway after popping the lid on the unit, I discovered that during the recent storms some mice came across toilet paper and made a HUGE nest inside. I mean, the backside was stuffed tight and the inlet was even plugged rather well. Fricken Mice!

I think it's time to put in the mesh inlet screen like I always thought of doing.

And I just checked it this past weekend!

Want to improve your mileage ????? I put the Hypermax cowl air intake, Banks downpipe and 3.5" exhaust out the back with an Areo Turbine muffler. Picked up 2 miles per gallon....................;Sweet

I would think it would be harder for those critters to get in your cowl and through the intake hose to chew on your filter...........:D

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet.

Took a few hundred miles underneath the rubber today. With 4.10 gears, a C6, NA, suspicious fuel filter and lines, I managed around 16 mpg doing between 60-65 the entire time. Not too shabby I'd say. I'm almost afraid to change the oil, and all filters with that mileage, but the outside temp was low 50's tops and I'm pulling in cool air from out front. That may have helped.

It was a very nice surprise to do the math and have that kind of mileage with those kind of gears and stock 265/75-16s in the back. To make sure, I took along my Garmin GPS to check the mileage and the speedo was spot on. For such an ugly truck (to others) it sure runs well.

Tonight I am not only tired as hell from the driving and other things I did today, but happy with the truck. Even starting it this morning with suspicious glow plugs and needing to do my return O-Rings and lines between injectors it sure started up quickly too. Only took a little longer than usual on the starter and GPs.

I'm proud of the beast. And no more mice homes in the intake either.