How to ID short vs. long yoke 10.25?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need a ring and pinion for my project truck's 10.25. The axle is NOT stock as it has the speedo pickup on the pumpkin and the '86 speedo pickup in on the t-case.

Anyway, '85-'92 10.25 have a shorter pinion yoke and the '93 and up 10.25's have a long pinion yoke. That means the pinion is specific to the different yoke types. My problem is.............I don't know which axle is on the truck. Anybody know how to visually (or otherwise) distinguish the two apart.

I don't want to order the wrong pinion and ring gear. If I get the wrong pinion, I have to buy the other yoke to make it work. :mad: :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Heath

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath,

I dont know if this info helps or not or you may already have it. But since no one has chimed in for you yet, heres a link with some info on early vs later 10.25's.

Maybe you can find a PN# on the axle?

HERE

Carl_F350

I Support the..
Reaction score
The U-joint Clamp on the short yolk are U-bolts. The Long Yoke have a strap clamp with four torx bolts. Also the short and long yoke have diferent diameter U-joints. I went from a long to a short and had to order a U-joint with different diameters.

The Long Yoke is for diesels the short for gassers.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Good info Carl. I was reading this yesterday and was hoping I could help Heath out, but I had nothing. Glad to see Heath has some stuff to go on now.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
If it is a 92 or less it is a short yoke Diesel or gas, full or semi floater. 93 and up are all long yoke. 4.56 is the largest ratio in a 92 and lesser rear. However you can use any gear set from a 93 and up in all 10.25's as you use the long yoke.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
Just FYI the torx bit required for the long yoke driveshaft is a T-45.

good luck