How to bypass or jump clutch pedal start switch?

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys how do i bypass my start switch on my clutch pedal? Its starting to act up and id rather bypass it than replace it.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There should be two red wires with blue stripes. Connect those two wires and you should be good. You may try shimming the switch out first. I did this on mine because I had to absolutely bury the clutch pedal to start my truck. I used a 1.5” hole saw and cut discs out of a 5 gallon bucket lid (I have a nearly unlimited supply of 5 gallon bucket lids) I then cut a slit in them so I could slip them around the push rod between the switch and the master cylinder. For me 2 of these shims made me happy. It was a perfect balance between starting the truck and being able to kick the cruise control off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The auto trans trucks have a plug. If you can find that unplug your switch and plug the new plug right in. On mine I just spliced the wires at the clutch.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Like @TNBrett said, there is two wires on the clutch safety switch. The best way to think of it, is like a toggle switch. One of those wires is the hot wire from the ignition, and the other goes to the fender mount relay (same wire), and the clutch safety switch is just an on and off switch. Pull those two wires and connect them together, and it will be bypassed.

Rock

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used a paper clip in a pinch. Unbend it and shove the ends into to female end of the connector. It effectively ties the two wires together with the ability to easily undo it.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just be careful. Because you can now start your truck in gear and the starter will move your truck.

Ford F-350 Man

Reaction score
I just use a mini ATC fuse. No cutting, splicing or any other harness violation... I can easily revert it back to factory if I wish to. Pull the fuse and plug it back into the switch. A switch that I don't have because prior morons tried to bypass it and failed epically... Cue the push button switch and appliance cord going to fender relay...

You must be registered for see images attach

Jcsheriff

Reaction score
On my 97 I simply opened the switch and reversed the guts inside so I didn’t have to cut any wires or anything. I did it this way with the intention of replacing the switch but I liked the idea of not having to hold the clutch ( just needed to be sure I wasn’t in gear).

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vast majority of truck and equipment I have owned never had the safety switch. My 93 was always giving me problems so bypassed it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The vast majority of truck and equipment I have owned never had the safety switch. My 93 was always giving me problems so bypassed it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
For some reason, I don't like them myself and I always bypass them. The exception was the 1995 ****** that I bought brand new. I decided to leave it alone just in case.