How much to swap gears?

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just trying to get a very rough idea here. If I have both sets of ring and pinion gears, how much should I expect to pay to swap to a set of 3.55 gears? I'm talking about both axles. Front is a D50.

Thanks,
Mark

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 wheel parts lists about 4-600 for parts, but it is an extensive labor process, could be up toward 1000 at a shop.

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just swapping out whole front and rear end, changing fluid, cutting U bolts, putting it under and bolting everything else up. I think it's easier, but I don't quite understand how to adjust the bearing shims and set preload and yada yada.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
If you are doing it more than once, I think it is worth getting the tools and learning how to do it. It is not too hard.

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, if you ever want to upgrade tires, don't switch to 3.55's, trust me on this one. I can't maintain interstate speed with my current tires, and they're only 33's. I get 18-20 on 55 mph highways, but it sucks down to about 12 on the interstate, and I can only keep it at 75 with a good tailwind. Given, speedo is off, by about 6 or 7 mph at that speed.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked a shop near me how much they would charge to do gears and they told me $250 per axle if I supplied the gears and the install kits.

I have a set of 3.55's laying in my garage, just haven't really wanted to lay out that much cash to swap them in. :dunno

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked a shop near me how much they would charge to do gears and they told me $250 per axle if I supplied the gears and the install kits.

I have a set of 3.55's laying in my garage, just haven't really wanted to lay out that much cash to swap them in. :dunno

Okay, so the next question would be how much are the "install kits?" Right now I just have the gears.

I need to have a set of seals replaced on the front Diff anyway, so I'm trying to decide whether to wait a week or two for the gears to arive and do it all at once, or have the seal replaced and set the gears on the shelf until next spring so that I can save up the money for it.

Tire upgrades are a waste of my time and $$. My tires are already way too wide. I'm trying to budget $1K for stock rims and tires next year.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A ring and pinion kit for a dana 50 seems to be about $54, and for a 10.25 it ranges from $44 (with shipping) to $114. (these are ebay prices)

A master kit for the front (bearings, pinion seal, etc plus gear install kit) is $85.