How much straight pipe cost?

Patriot304

Reaction score
Can anybody give me a rough estimate of what it'll take to get my truck strait piped at a muffler shop.
I drive a 88 f250 7.3 idi
Thanks

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had straight 2.5" duals put on my 89 F250 aluminized with shotguns out each side of the trailer hitch for $400 , but it was back in 1999. if you want an estimate of what a muffler shop will charge you , you might want to ask a muffler shop. ask around local garages who does the best exhaust bending. some guys can really butcher pipe and you will still have to pay as its all custom. do the legwork in your area! it will be worth it...........

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please don't. I live near a busy road and listening to you guys going by all the time gets old. Do girls still like loud vehicles? That is the only reason I can think of to make your exhaust that loud.

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you have a turbo, it's not loud, but it runs lower egt because it breaths better
I used a diamond eye kit on my psd, quiet (for a diesel) and still breaths well

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I don't care about noise if I wanted a quiet truck I wouldn't a gotten a diesel.
oh yeah, my straight pipes were fricken loud. (no turbo.) I did get a fine but no demerit points on my licence. I had to drive very slow through St Jacobs, a tourist town in the country full of people from Toronto. they would just walk right in front of you to cross back and forth across the road, if they were real ***** about it I would let them have the full wrath, yup governor:) . people would cover their ears and little kids would cry. one of my buddies was right behind me once and said it sounded like a load of pipe rolling down a hill. scary.......

loud exhaust is for the young, who cares if it impresses the girls or not. I'm 53 and I don't like it anymore but I do understand it. GO FOR IT. :cheers:

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Straight piping a n/a idi just sounds plain dumb and is way to obnoxious especially with a small diameter pipe.
It it’s turboed, it’ll be just fine.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can do whatever you like with your truck, a straight piped na engine is nowhere near as loud as some of the street "legal" drag cars Ive taken on the street and had no issues with tickets, if youre flooring it everywhere and getting sideways on the main drag of your town, youll attract tickets. If you drive sanely, and only use the throttle when in mexico where you arent bothering anyone, youll be fine. Ive driven straight piped na engines for years with never an issue with the law. Be respectful and you will be respected. Either way, the stock exhaust is a big restriction on na and turbo engines, and can be improved with larger exhaust and straight through mufflers if you want to keep it quiet.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My exhaust goes from the stock y pipe to 3”, up and over the trans crossmember, then to 4” out in front of the passenger tire. No muffler, I love it. I ordered the 4” piping and 4”-3” adaptor on eBay for like 80$ then the exhaust shop bent the short piece of 3”, welded, and hung everything for like 130$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can do whatever you like with your truck, a straight piped na engine is nowhere near as loud as some of the street "legal" drag cars Ive taken on the street and had no issues with tickets, if youre flooring it everywhere and getting sideways on the main drag of your town, youll attract tickets. If you drive sanely, and only use the throttle when in mexico where you arent bothering anyone, youll be fine. Ive driven straight piped na engines for years with never an issue with the law. Be respectful and you will be respected. Either way, the stock exhaust is a big restriction on na and turbo engines, and can be improved with larger exhaust and straight through mufflers if you want to keep it quiet.
The voice of reason! Well said! :Thumbs Up

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wes said it well if you give respect. respect will be returned as for straight piped that's the way I'd go and its a lot cheaper than the other options out there around where I live you would be in it 250 to 350 if you have someone do it all for you

Reaction score
I had a muffler shop hack out my muffler and straight pipe it. Mine has a Banks turbo kit. I can't remember the exact cost, but it couldn't have been more than $125 or so. Volume is fine. Only obnoxious if I'm on it, or the oh-so-sweet "jake brake effect" on decel.

Mike

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If you drive sanely, and only use the throttle when in mexico where you arent bothering anyone, youll be fine. Ive driven straight piped na engines for years with never an issue with the law. Be respectful and you will be respected.

During the time I had stacks on the 94 f350 powerstroke, I redlined in 3rd in front of the local cops after they finished their lunch at the local diner. Lol
Not like I was going very fast. They just looked at me.
Otoh, still had the gin pole bed at the time.
If it were a newer truck on some rice 22's, would have likely been a different story. Lol
I think this Cummins is the loudest so far.
But I agree, don't drive with your foot to the floor, and it wont be an issue.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86