How much can I safely tow with an NA 7.3?

Furious George

Reaction score
1988 F250 7.3 NA 4x4 zf5 regular cab with 3.55's and stock size tires. We're looking at a 26 foot travel trailer that weighs just over 5k dry and 7.5k gross. Will I be ok with this much weight? I know people are pulling a lot more, but my setup isn't ideal. I'm sure I'd be a lot better off with a turbo and 4.10 gears. I'm not looking to set any speed records towing, but I don't want to damage anything. Would a pyrometer be a good idea? This is all new to me. I've never even towed so much as a single axle utility trailer before so any recommendations are appreciated.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
I pulled my 12K# 5'er when my truck was NA. Speed would drop on hills but I never had any problems. I could run 65-75 easily on flat land without pushing it hard. You are in good shape at 7.5K.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A pyro would be a good idea, with an N/A the temps can go up real quick if your not paying attention. otherwise you should be alright.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
It should handle the load pretty well. It might be slow, but you will get there. A good suggestion might be to open up the exhaust and intake to keep temps lower. A pyro is a very good idea. 4.10's would be better, but 3.55's will do it in the long haul. These trucks are rated to tow about 12.5K lbs. These motors were used in bigger International rigs before they were ever put in Ford pickups.

Furious George

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I didn't figure it should be a problem, but I wanted some confirmation on that. The trailer salesman we've been talking to seems more honest than most, but he's still a salesman.

Going slow doesn't bother me. I'll be taking it real easy for a while. What kind of rpm's do you guys recommend and is fifth gear safe to use or should I just keep it in fourth? I think I get 50mph at 2000 in fourth and 65mph at just over 2000 in fifth so I'm not too worried if I can't use fifth.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should be alright in 5th for the most part, your egts will tell you more than anything. 2k is a good rpm for these trucks for towing.

tractorman86

Reaction score
yup, at 7500 you are just tickling the ol' girl. but definately get a pyro just for insurence

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup, at 7500 you are just tickling the ol' girl. but definately get a pyro just for insurence

The N/A truck will pull 7k all day. The pyro is only important if the pump has been played with. If you turn up the fuel on an N/A you can easily put in more fuel than the engine can handle and overheat it. I've blown one up this way. However, if the pump hasn't been messed with, and is set from the factory, then you should be able to run with it on the floor all day long and not have a worry, other than boiliing over the rad, or using up all your fuel!!

On my present truck, it is set up for a turbo. If I give it enough throttle on a good hill to just see a whisp of greyish smoke, then the temps on the pyro will run around 900degF at the manifold. If I give it more till I have a nice light stream of black smoke coming out, it'll start to climb and just keep climbing to well over 1200 in a minute or two!!!

If you're seeing black smoke, you're overfuelling!

zigg :)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
My 5er weighs in around 10k and it's maiden voyage was BC (Before turbo Charger :D and it was a trip over the Ozarks and the thing did just fine, even managed to pass a few big trucks once I figured out the thing liked to be kept up in the rpm range. In your neck of the woods with that weight you'll have a few grades where you'll find 3rd and probably 2nd gear, but you'll still get there no problem.

I've got the turbo now, and we just got back from a trip pulling not only the 5er but the 10ft flat trailer loaded down with kids bicycles and my mobility scooter behind it up through the Ozarks to Branson. Tows like a dream.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Old thread, I know.....

Does anyone have the owners guide that has the weights listed by configuration and gearing? I know I can pull a rediculous amount but I want to stay in legal limits.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online