How do you like R&D idi parts?

natesewell901

Reaction score
So.... I’m looking at a 1992 f250 sclb 4x4 xlt lariat 369,000 on the ticker i believe runs great guy had trans redone 5,000 miles ago believe this $1500 well when my funds allow it i wanna do r&d idi parts I’ve heard good and bad Are they hit or miss? And does thewespaul sell his parts? What do you guys think?

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had good luck with R&D's stuff. injectors, IP, frame-rail stage 1 dual-filter setup, wicked wheel turbine, etc. No complaints. Plus when you buy his stuff, he is very available for advice and customer service. He used to lend out his timing gun too if you bought an IP. I don't know if he still provides that service ever since I bought my own ferret meter.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read the thread in my signature “R&D injectors durability test” I put the injectors through some good miles and got some interesting data, I actually need to update that with some more info. Anything you get from Mel, Russ, or Justin is going to be a good product, personally I think it’s a stretch to say R&D is very available for customer service, usually have to call several times before myself or my customers get an answer. If you are interested in his injectors I think someone recently said they are out of stock. If you want another option to compare prices to, my injectors are $425 a set, and my pump rebuilds are usually $700-1000 depending on the condition of your core and how much fuel you want.

natesewell901

Reaction score
Read the thread in my signature “R&D injectors durability test” I put the injectors through some good miles and got some interesting data, I actually need to update that with some more info. Anything you get from Mel, Russ, or Justin is going to be a good product, personally I think it’s a stretch to say R&D is very available for customer service, usually have to call several times before myself or my customers get an answer. If you are interested in his injectors I think someone recently said they are out of stock. If you want another option to compare prices to, my injectors are $425 a set, and my pump rebuilds are usually $700-1000 depending on the condition of your core and how much fuel you want.
Are your injectors like stage 1, 2, 3 or just rebuild stock ones

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$425 is for stock injectors, my stage ones are a g code nozzle with a custom grind and lower pop pressure to get more fuel out of the pump. They give a nice boost in power without a compromise in spray pattern or an increase in egts, don’t even need a pyro to run them. They run $475 a set because of the extra step of machining. I have a set of experimental “3m” injectors, that are looking very promising, but I am still working on getting some mileage on them in the shop truck to see how they hold up. All the details on those injectors are in the shop truck thread.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding customer service, when I first e-mailed Justin to place my order, I didn't get a response. Mailed him again a week later and this time I got a response within about 2 days. But, once the parts were in my truck and we ran in to problems, I e-mailed him again and this time I had a response within about 15 minutes. So, ordering the parts can be a little tricky sometimes, but if you have a problem he'll respond ASAP. :Thumbs Up

As far as the parts themselves, so far I'm loving my IP and injectors. I've got maybe 15k miles on them and no problems at all, for an NA truck it's way faster than it should be. The only problem we did have was after the pump was installed, the truck just absolutely refused to start. Even giving it half a can of ether couldn't get the damn thing to start. Lucky for me though, @towcat was the one doing the installation, he's got a big bag of tricks and he was able to get it going. If you're not going to do the install yourself, do yourself a HUGE favor and take it to someone like him who knows these engines inside and out, not just any old diesel shop.

One thing to note though, if you're running NA, turn the fuel screw down before installing the IP. Justin told me my pump was calibrated for NA engines, but this thing puts out more smoke than a flaming Iraqi oil well. It's a good thing I don't have a pyro LOL

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
this thing puts out more smoke than a flaming Iraqi oil well
Although I haven't seen one of those, I can say for certain that at least one (probably more) Iraqi oil refinery puts out a WHOLE lot of black smoke. We used to say that "those crazy Iraqis are burning up their country again". Funny how it looks the same whether it's coming out of the ground or out of our tail pipes.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've ordered from Mel and Justin and I am very happy with both!

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've found the best way to contact Justin is via Facebook messenger. Phone is less available. If you watch his youtube videos, you can tell that he gets into a project and probably ignores the ringing. I do the same thing, when I'm engrossed in a project.

Kevo1288

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$425 is for stock injectors, my stage ones are a g code nozzle with a custom grind and lower pop pressure to get more fuel out of the pump. They give a nice boost in power without a compromise in spray pattern or an increase in egts, don’t even need a pyro to run them. They run $475 a set because of the extra step of machining. I have a set of experimental “3m” injectors, that are looking very promising, but I am still working on getting some mileage on them in the shop truck to see how they hold up. All the details on those injectors are in the shop truck thread.

Should definitely update your page with all this info. It would be great to have a visual of it all and to know we have 2,3, or 4 very high quality vendors supporting these trucks.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should definitely update your page with all this info. It would be great to have a visual of it all and to know we have 2,3, or 4 very high quality vendors supporting these trucks.
Will do, it’s always good to have options, you won’t go wrong buying from Russ, Mel or Justin!

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a crossover pipe and it is awesome! Tried to buy a IP afterwards but couldn't get an answer. I don't do Fakebook... not sure why anyone would count on that for a business but what do I know!?! I guess I could 'get with the times' but probably by the time I do social media will have moved on.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a crossover pipe and it is awesome! Tried to buy a IP afterwards but couldn't get an answer. I don't do Fakebook... not sure why anyone would count on that for a business but what do I know!?! I guess I could 'get with the times' but probably by the time I do social media will have moved on.

I had a Facebook account, but recently gave it up since the scandal of them silencing conservatives and other alternative media, plus their stance on selling all my data. I archived my old account, and then made it private, but kept it open to use their Facebook Messenger. He's pretty accessible with Messenger, and you don't have to keep your Facebook account active.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m in the same boat with Facebook, not worth it for me.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
you can tell that he gets into a project and probably ignores the ringing. I do the same thing, when I'm engrossed in a project
The phone rings when you're in the middle of a project? Hmmm, I wonder if mine does too?LOL
I’m in the same boat with Facebook, not worth it for me.
All of the BS from the ones in charge aside, What I've found out about Facebook is that it usually is what you make it to be. I try to follow the same rules that I do on here: keep the swearing, BS, and insults to a minimum, try to talk out any issues with people who want to argue (I've actually had some pretty good discussions with people after they run out of steam from me not arguing back), and most importantly, I try to ignore the whiners. It seems to work foe me. I am on my second time around with it. This time, I try to stick to pages for people with similar interests.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online