How do you guys think she's running?

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I finally got my 6.9 to start right up, and I think it's running pretty good. However, I don't have access to a timing meter, so I am timing it by ear. My question is what do you guys think, based off of how the motor sounds. I took a video, which at the beginning the high idle is activated as is the cold idle advance. I just pulled both of those after a little bit just so you can see what it's like without any of that. Any insight is appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEwEtwapFIg

Sorry the video is sideways guys, not sure why it did that.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good to me. ;Sweet At first I was gonna say it sounds a little high, but once you got the high idle off it sounded better.

Alan Slingsby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how exactly it should sound,but I do have to say I like the rig..that body style with a 6.9 very nice!!

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good to me. ;Sweet At first I was gonna say it sounds a little high, but once you got the high idle off it sounded better.

Thanks man, I just thought it maybe sounded a little too clattery still as if it were a little too advanced. If it isn't smoking and has good power, is there any danger in me leaving it alone without timing it with a meter?

I don't know how exactly it should sound,but I do have to say I like the rig..that body style with a 6.9 very nice!!

Thanks man, there's a build thread on here somewhere.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Thanks man, I just thought it maybe sounded a little too clattery still as if it were a little too advanced. If it isn't smoking and has good power, is there any danger in me leaving it alone without timing it with a meter?

Nope. No harm at all, as long as you can keep an eye on it with a pyro. If the temps get out of hand, then you might have to adjust it a little and go from there. But if it starts up that quick, I doubt the timing is off by much, if any.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just thought it maybe sounded a little too clattery still as if it were a little too advanced. If it isn't smoking and has good power, is there any danger in me leaving it alone without timing it with a meter?

Your glowplugs might disintegrate, but likely all it would cost you is a set of glowplugs.

It does not sound too advanced to me. After timing mine with one of Gary's meters, I couldn't believe how clattery it was, especially with cold advance on (timed to 9.5 deg BTDC). I don't hear hardly any clatter at all on your video. Of course, it could sound a lot different in person than what your camera picked up, and what my computer speakers put out. And I've only calibrated my ears on one turbocharged engine.

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. No harm at all, as long as you can keep an eye on it with a pyro. If the temps get out of hand, then you might have to adjust it a little and go from there. But if it starts up that quick, I doubt the timing is off by much, if any.

I don't have a pyro cause I have no turbo and the fuel isn't turned up. And yeah, in that video, that was the first time it had been started since Saturday and it popped right up like in that other video I took.

Your glowplugs might disintegrate, but likely all it would cost you is a set of glowplugs.

It does not sound too advanced to me. After timing mine with one of Gary's meters, I couldn't believe how clattery it was, especially with cold advance on (timed to 9.5 deg BTDC). I don't hear hardly any clatter at all on your video. Of course, it could sound a lot different in person than what your camera picked up, and what my computer speakers put out. And I've only calibrated my ears on one turbocharged engine.

I think the video represents it pretty well, it just sounded a bit clattery with the cold advance on, I guess that's what I was worried about. Can I just leave that disconnected til winter? Or...?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went over to RLDSL's house the other day and timed my truck up to about 9.3. It had been set at about 4 before that. What a difference! It does rattle a lot more when the cold advance is on, but sounds really good when it warms up.

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went over to RLDSL's house the other day and timed my truck up to about 9.3. It had been set at about 4 before that. What a difference! It does rattle a lot more when the cold advance is on, but sounds really good when it warms up.

Yeah, problem is there aren't many people in this area, and I doubt any have meters. I was thinking of calling up the tractor dealer and seeing if they would do it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you can use a wrench you can time that engine with one of my meters. I send the two needed tools to move the pump. I give you my cell number and all the directions to do this simple job. I pay the shipping to you and you pay to my paypal account the $70.00 rental fee and the shipping back to me. I can talk you thru the timing process easily. If you can drive to Conestoga diesel in Lancaster Pa Mel would be happy to time it for you. I'm not sure what kind of a drive that might be but its another option. PM me for details if interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12

Members online