How accurate is the fuel pressure port?

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been low on power so I checked fuel pressure. At Idle I had 4psi. I changed the filter and found all kinds of crap inside it, the worst its ever been. Had about 15K on it. After I replaced the filter and started the truck I only had 1-2psi on my gauge running at Idle. My guage is just a cheep one maybe thats my problem. I might install a good permanent one in the top of the filter.
I have most of the power back, but I still think its time to pop test the injectors.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Your talking about two differant pressures. Your "test" pressure that you posted is low. It should be 5 to 7 lbs at any rpm. Now the second pop pressure you are refering to has nothing to do with the primary pressure. The second is partly controled by the injection pump and partly by the condition of the injectors. Hope this helps. If you are asking for opinions mine is your lift pump is shot. About $15.00 and some greasey work and things will be much better but... The best idea is doing away with the lift pump and installing an electric fuel pump. Holley Red is the prefered here but other el cheapos will work just fine too.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know fuel pressure and pop pressures are two different things, sorry for the confusion.
I knew I needed a fuel filter changed, so I thought Id check fuel pressure first.
The electric pump has been on the "to do" list for awhile And so has checking pop pressures on the injectors. Just havent had time.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel filters really should be changed at least once a year. It's cheap insurance and keeps the fibers in them from degrading and finding their way into your pump. I second the vote to put in an electric. It's one of the best mods you can make anytime your dealing with fuel issues.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I change mine about 2 0r 3 times a year, I try to put 10-12K on them at the most. This last time I've just been too busy to change it, then one day I looked at the mileage on the filter and realized there was over 15K on it. Time flys when your havin fun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker