How about New Veggie Oil?

Runboy

Reaction score
Currently Antioch California - Soon heading to Cre
I am completely ignorant on alternative fuels but am getting curious. I have a quick question - I know that the normal thing is to collect used cooking oil etc., but when the price of fuel here in california is over $3 a gallon I start to wonder - couldn't you just burn New cooking oil at the same price? I know it's not the most economical approach but was just curious. Does a gallon of veggie oil go as far as a gallon of Diesel fuel?
Thanks for any input.
Mike

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
WVO is free but must be filtered and de-watered. Soybean oil is about $2.40/gal. It does not need to be filtered or de-watered. Mixing veggie oil with #2 is called blending. Some have done it BUT risk injector coking. If you wish to burn SVO properly then you need to convert the vehicle with a kit that heats the oil to 160+*F, filters and removes any free water prior to it entering the engine. A two tank system is needed in our trucks. Veggie oil has less BTUs than #2 so a gallon gives about 7% less mileage.

Runboy

Reaction score
Currently Antioch California - Soon heading to Cre
SVO

Thanks for the info Richard.
My truck is an IDI, is there anything that needs to be added to the oil for lubrication of the injector pump etc?

Do most of the people running SVO buy a pre-made kit or put something together themselves. I am quite the tinkerer and like to do things the hard way-cuss

One last thing, would it make more sense to set the truck up for SVO or brew bio-diesel? I am a automotive painter by trade and here in california I can just imagine what it would take to get rid of any left over chemicals or other waste.

Mike

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Some SVO kits. Most get kits because it's easier and the components are matched but DIY guys build kits too.

Common wisdom says: If you have one vehicle convert it. If you have a few diesels make bioD.

WVO = no chemicals
bioD = methanol & lye

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7