Hood seal?

02AutoWag

Reaction score
I'm thinking I need this part replaced. Is it true that water getting pass this seal will find its way onto/into the air filter housing?

Is this seal flexible rubber or is rigid plastic? Does it form a positive seal, or is it there to divert water? The reason I ask is because mine is a crumbling mess and I initially thought it was made of plastic.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its soft rubber that forms to the hood and it channels water away from the air cleaner center bolt. Thats where the water sits and leaks into the intake manifold. The factory had a rubber seal under the wing nut but most of those are long gone by now. I found one on a wrecked truck so I pocketed it... Just incase someone needed it down the road... I have no idea where it is at this moment....:dunno

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh it's true alright, mine develops a nice lake in the recessed part of the air filter. My bolt seal is seriously tight tho, so no water gets inside the intake, but it does look a bit disturbing when you open the hood and see enough water on the lid for tadpoles to swim in.