Holley Red Pump

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boy, it pays to go internet. I paid almost $100 for each of mine. I knew I could get them cheaper, but I just "had" to have them when I wanted them, and got them off the shelf in the local speed shop. Mr. Gasket makes a nice big block block-off plate that is flat with no fancy ribbing.

localrich

Reaction score
tuckerd1 said:
Ordered my Holley Red pump and the Holley OPSS from Autozone online. Total w/shipping = 89.02

Now I checked 4 other online stores and Ebay. Each had the pump priced at $95-96 plus the shipping.

I like online shopping!

Don

I got took mine was 90.49 out the door :backoff freaking california sales tax

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
John Haggerty said:
Brothers,
I'm planning a fuel system upgrade. What can you share about a Holley Red pump installation?
Thanks,
John

I placed my Holley just a head of the fuel selector valve on the inside of the driver's frame. I replace the plastic fuel line with rubber hose between the pump inlet and the valve. Also covered the hose with split wire loom for protection.

For the outlet, I sanded down the brass hose barb slightly, stretched the plastic hose a bit and got it to slide onto the hose barb. I added a piece of fuel hose over the plastic hose and hose clamp for peace of mind.

On the wiring, I picked up the factory trip switch for an accident, but have not gotten it installed. Make sure you have the pump powered both when the key on and in start. The truck will probably start if wired with key on only, but if you run it out fuel, it will be nearly impossible to restart. Don't ask how I know.

The little piece of rubber between the pump and the bracket does little for noise. You can definitely hear the pump from outside. At an idle you may hear it in the truck, but not while running down the road.

Lastly, it is really nice to swap filters, turn the ignition on and be able to bleed the filter without rolling the engine.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the Moose Tail, I have it mounted as most have indicated, right on the frame. There are even a couple of bolt holes already there that are just beging to be used. Due to space constraints on the Moose Truck however, I had to make an L bracket, and mount it on the bracket which extends towards the drivetrain in front of the forward fuel tank. Pump noise in this position is noticably less than on the tail.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mounted mine in the same spot as everyone else, and used the rubber piece that came with the pump and it it pretty quiet, I can hear it when I hit the key, but once the truck is running I can only really hear it if I drop down to a knee and listen for it. The E-pump just takes alot of guesswork out of air in lines problems, IP problems and other similar stuff. Scotty

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Is there a disadvantage in mounting the FP on the frame near the old mech pump location? Does a Holley red pump pull fuel over long distances very well?

I had thought of using a relay from Radio Shack trriggered by one of the ignition sw ckts. Power to the FP from the batt side of the starter solenoid (very short ckt length) to reduce voltage drop to the FP and to prevent adding additional load on an existing ckt in the truck.

Don

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Boy, it pays to go internet. I paid almost $100 for each of mine. I knew I could get them cheaper, but I just "had" to have them when I wanted them, and got them off the shelf in the local speed shop. Mr. Gasket makes a nice big block block-off plate that is flat with no fancy ribbing.

You can save alot on the net. Just have to be selective with who you do business with.

Don

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
The pump & switch came in this morning. Pretty quick shipping! That pump is heavy! Ive used some other brands before that were real light weight compared to this. Maybe it will last a lifetime!

Now can I find time to install it before the 4th. Probably will have to wait until after. I do want to do it before I do the IP & inj.

Don

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
blue vs red?

Agnem said:
Hi Greg. The big advantage of the electric pump is it helps a lot with changing fuel filters, and eliminates the guesswork if you ever get fuel in your crankcase oil. That's really about it. Oh, and it does make the stock pump mounting location available as a cool place to return oil from a bypass filter or preluber. You also don't have to worry about a mechanical pump failure droping parts in your oil pan.

what is the difference with the blue vs. red? do you need a regulator with with either?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The output presure. The Red is a good match for what the stock pump put out, and will allow the fuel flow and presure test as stated in the service manual to pass.