holley red install?

stiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, i'm ready to install an electric pump. i have two questions :confused: . 1. which circuit do i need to tie into for power? 2. should i be installing an inline filter before the pump? or will the pump have to work to hard pulling fuel.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
You should use a circuit that is switched off with the key off. If you look up Okiegringo, then go to his garage, he has a picture of a great wiring diagram. He will probably be along here as well, but if not, here is a post about this topic http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10160&highlight=Electric+Fuel+Pump

Okie posted in this one, so just check out over on the left where it says OkieGringo's Garage and you will see two pics, it is the one on the right.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I got the info from BG too, You want the power from the batt but you want to use a wire that is hot on the ignition ON position to turn on the relay. There is a yellow one on the engine compartment driver side on the fuse box that is hot on ignition ON.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
Yes, you should use a filter before the pump. A Fram HPG1 filter can be mounted with the pump by using a pipe nipple between the filter outlet and pump inlet. It will not bother the pump at all as the fllter has plenty of capacity.

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
Wear a rain coat cuz yer gonna get a "diesel bath". I tried putting a filter before the e-pump but it got clogged up real fast. Maybe the wrong kind. I also put in a small ball valve before the filter and e-pump so that I could avoid "taking a diesel bath" next time I needed to change filter or e-pump. It has already come in handy. OkieG

snatchal

Reaction score
Yes, you should use a filter before the pump. A Fram HPG1 filter
Does Fram make a cartridge for this filter head that is suitable for diesel fuel. The only one that I have found so far is for gasoline.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have the Perma Cool pre-electric pump in mine. It is a water separator as well as 2 micron filter. Flows 25 GPM, Holley Red is 67 GPH. I have had mine on for close to a year with no problems. Assembly is $35 and filters are $14 at jegs. Here is the link - http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...atalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=14197

Not affiliated or anything, just have one and have had good luck with it. I think Summit Racing may have them and probably other suppliers as well.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have the Perma Cool pre-electric pump in mine. It is a water separator as well as 2 micron filter. Flows 25 GPM, Holley Red is 67 GPH. I have had mine on for close to a year with no problems. Assembly is $35 and filters are $14 at jegs. Here is the link - http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...atalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=14197

Not affiliated or anything, just have one and have had good luck with it. I think Summit Racing may have them and probably other suppliers as well.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have mine installed on the driver side of the engine where there is a 1/8 inch pipe port. I have a T and my electrical oil pressure sender located there as well.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
sle2115 said:
I have mine installed on the driver side of the engine where there is a 1/8 inch pipe port. I have a T and my electrical oil pressure sender located there as well.

Thanks! I'll go for that plug.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
sle2115 said:

I installed the OPSS in this location. Do you have any problems with heat in this location? It sure is close to the manifold downpipe. I had to use an elbow and a 2" nipple to get it away from the manifold downpipe. It was so close, I had to unbolt the downpipes from manifold to get the elbow installed. I strapped the nipple to bellhousing bolt to prevent vibration damage.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
tuckerd1 said:
I installed the OPSS in this location. Do you have any problems with heat in this location? It sure is close to the manifold downpipe. I had to use an elbow and a 2" nipple to get it away from the manifold downpipe. It was so close, I had to unbolt the downpipes from manifold to get the elbow installed. I strapped the nipple to bellhousing bolt to prevent vibration damage.

I haven't had any problems with heat as I put a long (4" or so) nipple on it and moved everything outside the exhaust. The only problem I am having is the brass nipple will break from vibration. I am going to use some Russell ProFlex braided hose and mount a 1/8" pipe distribution block elsewhere and install the two senders, should eliminate vibration damage.