Hino 338 vs. Freightliner M2 106

mainline253

Reaction score
We are replacing a 2001 F-750- I got Pricing for an International Durastar, Hino 338 and Freightliner M2 106. All are pretty equal in chassis, engine and options. I was not impressed with the International's quality so that is off the table, now its down to the Hino and the Freightliner. I was hoping pricing would be a more deciding factor, but they are literally within a couple hundred dollars of each other. Looking for any opinions, thoughts or ideas.

A little about the truck use- we are a highway guardrail installer, we will be mounting a 17,000 lb hydraulic post driver and auger on the back of this. Don't put a lot of miles on our equipment- roughly 10,000 miles a year, however, we do put a lot of hours on the engine. The Freightliner was priced with a Cummins ISB 6.7, the Hino with their own J08E-VB engine. horse power and torque are both 260 hp, 660 lb.ft. Both are 33,000lb GVW trucks. Very similar spec to an oil delivery truck.

Thank You!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hinos are beyond tough-as-nails, but when they break, the parts cost is ungodly and the wait time is three times as long as the freightliner.

mainline253

Reaction score
I have heard from several people that the parts can be difficult to get. I read one review online that Hino's are really more of a "delivery truck" than a "service/utility truck".

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they are doing fine as towtrucks.
you also need to remember those trucks are everywhere outside of the US. most of those countries have improved dirt roads at best. i've seen some badly abused versions in mainland china where overloading is only a state of mind and they stay together and keep running.

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
We have a 2013 M2-106 with the 6.7 in it at work and we have no complaints so far. Runs good, great mileage. To date we have approx 45,000 miles on it with no trips to the mechanic for anything other than PM's. No experience with the Hino.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
If it were me, and the truck wouldn't be running up the highway with 30 000 pounds on it.....I would get the Hino.

The cost of a breakdown is higher, and the parts might be harder to get....but look at how many times it breaks down...hardly EVER.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7