highboy

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
No they did not come with a factory lift. its due to the frame and suspension set up. the frame was carried over from the 60s.

only F-250s reg cabs till mid 77 were "high boys".

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um i don't what to sound mean but they did come factory lifted I believe they have a skyjacker lift blocks on them the front dosent have much of one but the rear has 4in blocks

All the earlier F250 4x4s had positive arched springs in the front, in 77.5-79 they switched to negative arched springs (for 'improved' ride quality cookoo) that made them sit much lower. The rears had a factory Ford block; A 3 inch block for 77.5-79 and 4 inch for the 77 & earlier trucks.

It isn't considered a 'lift' since until later 77, ALL previous Ford F250 4x4 trucks used the positive arched springs that gave them that height.

lynch

little stinker
Reaction score
No they did not come with a factory lift. its due to the frame and suspension set up. the frame was carried over from the 60s.

ok mine is a earliy 77 reg cab so it is a highboy and it did come with a foctory lift ill find the site to prove to u that it did....i dont know what site u looked at but i would like to see this cuz i have freinds and seen others that have the same blockes that i do

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Blocks dont mean anything. I guess my 88 F-350 has a 2" lift on it then because of the 4" lift blocks vs. the F-250s 2" block.

Crewcabs were NOT high boys, but often considered.

There is a very detailed thread on pirate4x4 going over this with factual info.

lynch

little stinker
Reaction score

Highboys have 3" wide front springs and 2.25" wide rear springs. Lowboys after 1977.5 have 3" wide front and rear springs.
Where a 4" Skyjacker front spring lifts a Highboy that much, it will lift a Lowboy 6". The Highboy has a difference of 2" of raised height than the Lowboy. Rear factory blocks in Lowboys are 3" and Highboys are 4". These springs don't lift the highboy an additional 4" they are basically replacment springs. I know I have them on my truck.
There are some confusing ideas on what makes a truck a highboy or not. first of all the term highboy was first coined by the owners of the trucks according to a Ford partsman I know, he said that ford made, nor assigned no name or title to these trucks, what makes a highboy is that the truck is assembled using different springs etc... to change the ride height, I don't know if this applies to the '66 thru '72 trucks, so here goes, I have had two(2) ford trucks 1976 & 1974, both F250 4wd both had divorced transfer cases. one of them sat approx. 4" higher that the other. Also When ordering parts for the trucks I noticed that there was a split in the VIN numbers for a lot of the parts. Trucks with VIN's before #Y20001 sat higher than the trucks after #Y20001, now this is just an observation of mine. While my trucks were both stock, the 1974 sat lower and had front springs that were almost flat and had no blocks in the rear. while the 1976 had front springs that were arched quite a bit(4") and the back suspension had blocks with a bump stop arm cast in them they measured (4.25") high........................there u go it did come lifted

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Was_the_t..._highboy_only_made_in_76_and_77#ixzz1dAY4Lw9t

lynch

little stinker
Reaction score
there was a crew cab highboy they are rare they made them for the goverment and compines....if u dont know what tour talking about just stop while your ahead

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
perhaps u should stop, skooter because u are diggin urself deeper and deeper into it. just because something on wikipedia says so, doesnt mean its the truth.

lynch

little stinker
Reaction score
perhaps u should stop, skooter because u are diggin urself deeper and deeper into it. just because something on wikipedia says so, doesnt mean its the truth.

no thats just what that site saidi know it dosent know eveything but it does now this ....my freinds highboy has the same set up and so did another one i looked at but what ever i am done aguring with u...u are right and i am wrong there u happy

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
No im not happy, because (as stated above several times) there is no "lift" on these trucks. the extra height is due to the springs and frame. Why were they set up this way? who knows but one reason i would say was to help with ground clearance of the transfercase and thats how most of the converted 4x4s were back then (ever see a napco converted late 50s f250 4x4? they were huge).

Forgot to add something (this dam computer keeps freezing on me) What i meant by no crew cab high boys was most dont refer to as high boys. They were built like the reg cab versions. and the actual term i have seen from looking at old ford books called em "high rider". In a generic sense all 4wd F-250s till march 77 were high boys, most talk being centered around reg cabs. no ext cab 4wd 250s till 78.

Last edited:

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score

:eek: That is about the biggest list of misinformation I've ever seen on the subject! LOL

And as I've stated before on other sites:
ihateminimumwage said:
It's loosely used for the 73-77 4x4 F250s, but the term actually is meant to tell the difference between the 77 & 77.5 trucks. The latter of which has the negative arch leaf springs, making it sit around 4 inches lower.

It not being a factory term, it's all open to interpretation, but the folks who have a TRUE highboy (early 77 F250 4x4) are very particular about what is called a highboy. The term couldn't have existed until the 77.5 trucks came around, as everything beforehand was just a 4x4 F250. The bump-side (67-72) trucks have no involvement in the highboy/lowboy talk.

Highboy is used many times as a selling point for old 4x4 Fords. The same as the 351m becomes a Cleveland and the 360 is suddenly a 390 at selling time.

The tall springs were NOT optional, they were standard, going back to the earliest 4x4s Ford built.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meself has a pristine 1972 HI-BOY sitting out back next to a not-so-pristine 1990 D-350 Cummins/5-speed.

They twain shall become one at my soonest convenience.

I know absolutely nothing about Ford gas engines, nor could I care less, but I have been told it is a 390, whatever that means; it ain't diesel, so it is irrelevant.

It will be 6BT-powered when I get done with it.

Mine has power-steering PLUS a big hydraulic cylinder mounted steering-stabilizer fashion that is plumbed into the power-steering.

Someone called it "ram-assist". :dunno

Although mine is a standard-cab, I have seen more 4-door HI-BOYs around here than standard-cabs.

lynch

little stinker
Reaction score
Lynch when ya start to restore it make sure ya get plenty of pics and a thread goin. Love me some old 70s ford trucks.

Will do it's going to be black and gray just haven't decided on 3 tone or 2 tone????? I wasn't trying to be an ******* but the truck dose have blocks between the axle and the rear springs that's 4in that's why I am saying this.... But the front is all in the springs no blocks there lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online