high torque starter

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone know where to get one for a good price? i found them online for around 100.

Also any good? I figure it would help a bunch but looking for opinions

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
just my 2 cents, but I went ahead and got one from O'Reilly with a real lifetime warranty. I have already gotten 1 free one (pos post burned off, my fault for letting it get loose, but no questions asked :) ) and face it, you will need another one some day. It wasn't the cheapest but I figure I got my money's worth already.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
In my humble opinion the rebuilts from the AP stores usually suck.:puke:

One thing I hate is getting a lifetime warranty on something to find out I have to replace it every six months with my own free labor.:mad:

If you have the factory Mitsu starter I would take yours in to a rebuilder and get yours back and tell them you want it done right, not cheap like they would do for an AP store.:backoff

I put a starter mount solenoid on mine for $25.00 bucks and it worked like new again.:sly

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
There is an aftermarket starter that is geared to spin the engine faster. I am going to get one after I check with the guy who started that thread to see if his still works. I can get the link if you want.

SWS

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was ready to get a high torque starter or replace my batts, but because of how slowly she was beginning to turn. Then one day she went click, click, click in the drive way the day after I degreased the motor. I cleaned the terminals and post and put a conductive past on everything. Two days later a friend commented that she turned like a gasser! I may get a high torque starter one day as the motor get tired, time will tell.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Forget the cheap starters. I went to a diesel electric shop and got a new nippondenso starter for mine. I had actually went in looking for a mitsubishi but the gut wouldn't sell me one. He had them on the shelf, same price, but he'll onlyt sell them if the desno wont fit for some reason because the mitsu starters fail so often and the denso starters spin much faster. Been in there a few years , no worries.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The issues I found with the warranty for life items is this... You pay only once for it but.... You will be replacing it over and over... Thats not all bad but I really don't want to be doing someone elses work. I buy from a local mom & pop shop that has never done me wrong. Their workmanship is far better than any other nappa or auto parts chain store..... Been using this shop for over 30 years now....:D

sootman73

Reaction score
i bought one from DB Electrical over a year ago.

it was much easier to put in and it works great. its a little loud but i expected that. it shakes the truck when you hit the key. and then the motor is started. any weather any temp. even with a couple bad glows it cranks that motor over so fast it starts anyway.;Sweet;Sweet

i'm very happy with it. it was $115 shipped to my door. DB is a company in Tennessee so it is american.;Sweet;Sweet

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score

it was much easier to put in and it works great. its a little loud but i expected that. it shakes the truck when you hit the key. and then the motor is started. any weather any temp. even with a couple bad glows it cranks that motor over so fast it starts anyway.;Sweet;Sweet

i'm very happy with it. it was $115 shipped to my door. DB is a company in Tennessee so it is american.;Sweet;Sweet

X 2 on the DB starter.;Sweet:thumbsup:

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score

That's a very nice looking NEW starter... I didn't know anything was made NEW for these trucks anymore. :eek: ;Sweet

dennis

Reaction score
high torque starter origin

The starters work great I have two of them . They come from china. Who did you think made them?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the great info, ill take a look at the db and nippo. That would be great SWS icant seem to search good here :eek:

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
No need to find the post now...it was the Sootman whose thread I was speaking of.

SWS

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the nippo is better than the mitsu?

I'll be ordering this week so let me know please :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin