HEy all need help! 1990 international dump truck

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys it has been some time since Ive been on here last. I have been focusing my life on a few other things! Ok I talked my boss into buying a 1990 international dump truck with I think around 24000lb rating on it. The engine runs awesome and no blow by at all. The truck cranks over very fast and has 2 batteries. I can hear the glow plug controller what sounds like cycling. It will not crank at all with out either. If the controller sounds like its cycling does that mean its working? Im going to get a set of glow plugs ordered but dont want to spend money on the box if it does not need it. Thanks for the help in advance!

Oh by the way the engine with the gearing in the truck is crazy! It is running full rpm at 60mph and looses no ground on hills. We run it 55-60 to the house and it looks like we only used maybe 10 gallons out of the tank. It was nearly 100 miles home.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it has a voltmeter, it should drop dramatically when you hear the clicking. If it doesn't have a voltmeter, turn the headlights on and watch them while someone turns the key. If the glowplugs are working(at least some of them), the headlights should dim noticeably when you hear the click.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
idi since I put it in the 7.3 6.9 forum and DT466 dont have glowplugs.

Hint why I asked, being an IH it could've been either and half the time people ask they guess wrong or don't know, as far as DTs and glow plugs the new ones do have glow plugs, they still wont start without a block heater but they do have them.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Icanfixall I am not sure what came out but boss put back in champions because thats what napa had. I was going to order him some but he likes to get ahead of the game.

kc0stp are you talking about the newer common rail DTs? We had one in a 2000 or so bucket truck and had great power but all injectors went out and was super high to fix. Truck got really chitty fuel mileage also compared to our early DTs we have.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance