Help

cbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in my 1987 f250 my plug is stuck in my oil pan... the plug is just spinning and will not come out. i thought the welded insert broke loose so i cut the head of the bolt of just to find out it was not the insert.. im not too sure on what to do and pulling the motor to put a new pan on is my last. andy advice? tips? thank you :dunno

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is stripped...accept it...likely bung in pan is too....options

Drill it out...let drain...flush with diesel...pour it in...let run out...weld new bung on or repair threads and plug it.

Re n Re engine and replace pan...then ya get to do oil cooler too fer good measure.

JM7.3CW Eh!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one in my pan was stripped but the threads in the pan were okay after a quick chase with a tap.

Here's what it looks like inside.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry it's a little fuzzy.

Here's the plug

You must be registered for see images attach

Despite what the parts store said, as well as my research, my plug was 1/2"-20.

So I would try to work it out turning it with a wrench and a couple screwdrivers to wedge behind it and hope you get lucky. You might be able to just chase the threads and put a new plug in. I don't think there is enough meat to drill and tap the insert for a bigger plug as it is.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would most certainly be replacing the pan.
as posted, those bungs don't have much meat.

if the bolt spun without coming out, its done.
even in Laserjock's position, his pan was off and the metal shavings were able to be cleaned out.
I wouldn't want that crap floating around my pan.

things like this are a huge pain in the ass, but must be done.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nope... You can't run anything up the pan threads because the oil pump pickup is too close. Mostly th pan plugs are a soft metal and they pull threads long before the actual oil pan threads. Any fake ass autoparts store has oversized pan plugs available too. They are all 1/2x20 threads. I have never seen a plug not come out like described here.

cbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright thanks for all the advice guys im going to buy a new pan and pull the motor, i want to do it right and possibly put new head gaskets and arps on any good gaskets for these?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
alright thanks for all the advice guys im going to buy a new pan and pull the motor, i want to do it right and possibly put new head gaskets and arps on any good gaskets for these?
i have extra pans removed and ready to go.
you just have to make a trip down to SJC to get it.