help!!!

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 7.3 IDI factory turbo 1994 she starts cold but not after an hour or so. Just cleaned every connection turns over just fine. Is it injectors or injection pump? How do I determine which it is?:eek:

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
As in, if you run it for an hour and then shut it down, it won't restart immediately? That's a bad IP. Heat soak. Time for a new one.

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As in, if you run it for an hour and then shut it down, it won't restart immediately? That's a bad IP. Heat soak. Time for a new one.
It will start for the first 15 min or so but after that....... its ether and a prayer

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well if you have an issue starting AFTER the engine is warmed up and its shut down for say 30 minutes.. Then you have the heat soak problem. Thats when the pump is so worn out that the hot engine expands the clearances in the pumping part of the injection pump. The clearances are less than 1 thousands of an inch so they are very small. Dirty fuel wears them out and nothing we can do bout that. What will give you more time on this pump is to thicken up your fuel by adding 2 stroke oil to the diesel or atf to the fuel. About 2 quarts per full tank will do. If that solves the heat soak problem plan on buying another pump soon. You may get another month or a year out of it but its not going to tell you when its done the next time. Another thing about adding oil to the fuel. These engines can run on straight atf or motor oil easliy but it will get expensive too unless its waste oil. See Conestoga Diesel in Pa for the best stock or built pump available anywhere.

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if you have an issue starting AFTER the engine is warmed up and its shut down for say 30 minutes.. Then you have the heat soak problem. Thats when the pump is so worn out that the hot engine expands the clearances in the pumping part of the injection pump. The clearances are less than 1 thousands of an inch so they are very small. Dirty fuel wears them out and nothing we can do bout that. What will give you more time on this pump is to thicken up your fuel by adding 2 stroke oil to the diesel or atf to the fuel. About 2 quarts per full tank will do. If that solves the heat soak problem plan on buying another pump soon. You may get another month or a year out of it but its not going to tell you when its done the next time. Another thing about adding oil to the fuel. These engines can run on straight atf or motor oil easliy but it will get expensive too unless its waste oil. See Conestoga Diesel in Pa for the best stock or built pump available anywhere.

Much thanks for the tip, I guess I better start saving for a IP it's my only transport so I need it to keep running. Whats the best/cheapest IP last time I bought an artic? It was great till my brother wreaked the 93 truck I had. This one has been a money sink...... almost ready to go back to a gas model..... but not quite...........

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
With a replacement IP, you ALWAYS get what you pay for, if you get a cheap one.... well... it will not last. I dunno, maybe you will win the IP lottery, I mean I'm sure Pensacola accidentally sold at least one good IP in their history, but if this is your primary transportation. Don't skimp, check the hall of shame, or you will be very sorry.

Thicken up your fuel, and carry around some water. (if you pour some room temperature water, SLOWLY, over the back of the IP body, that will shrink it back and let you start it.) to limp it along until you can afford a good rebuild.

Gary said it, and I CANNOT stress this enough... Talk to Mel at Conestoga Diesel ( http://www.conestogadiesel.com/ ) about your options, do it right now. If you can't afford a new one, he is the best resource for how to limp along until you can. There is a very good reason this community is so loyal to Mel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online