HELP!!!!

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am on retirement so I gross only 1200 a month I have a 1994 ford 4 wheel drive IDI turbo Diesel that wont drive in second gear.I need a tranny an E4OD I didn't know a fella could convert a 2 wheel drive tranny to work in a 4by4 what all is involved? I could also convert to 5 speed manual if I had the clutch and master cylinder as well as the flywheel and tranny. I NEED TO FIX HER she's my only truck right now and I plan to keep her quite a while but I am losing precious time and the wood/hay/meat/food has to be gotten before winter really sets in. Any help advice parts whatever would be very much appreciated.

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way I live in MT and I can ship to here if I can get a good enough price on the tranny. Thanks in advance I know most if not all of you guys are very cool about helping when possible

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'mno expert on that box, but will it go into 2nd at all and just not pull it, or does it just not shift? Have you done the electrical checks first before condemning the box, the thottle position sensor etc? I'm sure one of the E4OD gurus will get on here before long, but usuually when something goes out instantly in cool weather, i.e. digitally, it generally isn't a major mechanical failure.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like Robert, I have no experience with the E4OD. Both my IDI's are stick shift. However, like he said, lots of guys here have the E4OD and can help you out. I have an E4OD sitting on the shop floor that came with a spare IDI I bought, but it is 2x4 and I honestly have no idea what condition it is in.

Heath

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
You MUST check the big electrical plug on the passenger side of the transmission. Its hard to get at/find but its there. The wires all must be in good shape, not frayed and corroded; and the plug itself must be clean. Apply a little dielectric grease to the plug to help out. All of the wires in this harness have a purpose and if any of them aren't making a connection, you WILL have issues.

How about your tach and speedo? are they working properly? They are essential also... however they usually don't effect second gear.
If you manually put the shift lever in second, what does it do? There is also a plug and a MLPS (shift lever sensor) on the drivers side of trans, check it out to.
Did the tranny start acting up prior to this issue? did it happen suddenly?

Stay posted and good luck. I know the feeling of E4od issues when the truck is in need.:puke:

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Does it start off in second and shift past third and right into OD at a low speed when accelerating?. If so, that is usually a bad T.O.T (trans overtemp) sensor. It is located in the solenoid pack and the pack itself is easy to change. Just have the pain in the a** of dropping the pan.

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it shifts from fist to second then it just won't push the truck step on the fuel and it's like breaking traction on ice, this started a week or so after I pulled a buried plow outa deep mud in a canal then the OD light started blinking on and off failing to go into OD and shifting hard. we replaced the throttle sensor made no difference. took it to a tranny re-builder and he drove it down the road came back and said seconds out gotta get another one.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
The FIPL (throttle sensor) must be set correctly in order for the trans to shift correctly, but shouldn't have an effect on second not engaging. If you don't know how to set it up, please let us know and we will post back with the procedure. What does it do with the shift lever in second? When the OD light blinks, it indicates that your transmission is in some sort of failure mode and has a 'code' stored. You are able to have these codes read with a scanner and that will give you more insight as to what is wrong.

Again, you should really try to eliminate all possible electrical problems prior to moving on to mechanical failure. Electrical issues are the culprit more often then not; and if neglected; can lead to mechanical failures.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
yeah for sure eliminate any electrical possibilities, but it sounds like it is most likely mechanical. (smoked clutch)

If you can put it into manual 2nd and it pulls just fine then it is an electrical issue.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
looks like we already have our answers.

Intermediate clutch is fried.

DIDN'T WORK the damned thing won't even move in second now

\,move yes but it also slips like a dog and unfortunately what I know about auto trannys could get lost in a thimble LOL I always bought 4 or 5 speeds since the 1970's First gear, reverse, 3'rd and 4th all seem to be fine just second and overdrive are problems, Second slips and OD doesn't want to engage. can a feller just replace the solenoid pack?

as for the 2wd vs. 4wd trans i think it is just the out put shaft and the tail housing on the trans.

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the OD light stopped blinking about a week after changing the throttle sensor. I don't know how to do the suggested procedure. When I put it in second it goes from first to second then slips.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Sure does sound like something came apart. With the lever in second, that should put the tranny in second only (doesnt start in first). At least thats what happens with the older models.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get a used transmission checked out before installing it in your truck. You could be wasting time and money installing a junk trans in your rig. It may be more expensive but I would look into rebuilding it, or taking the time and rebuilding it yourself if equipped to do a job like that. I am telling you this because I know a guy who was trying to save money and ended up buying 4 used transmissions off craigslist before getting one good one to work in his older f150 truck. Lots of time was wasted installing 4 transmissions lol. Just my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online