Help with lug nuts and wheels

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never tried it, but I would think finding aftermarket hub-centric wheels would be difficult. They would have to be specifically made for your the hubs on your truck.

I also agree with the smaller wheel larger tire. The rims are too easy to damage when the tire is just a small rubber band going around the outside. If I were going to buy wheels, I would do some research on tire availability. I have seen a large selection of 17 inch tires. The more popular OEM sizes like 17 inch might make the tire purchase easier on the wallet.

Last edited:

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Have any of you guys ever had a set of old Cragers or Keystone wheels? They had the cast centers with the metal outer rim. Those wheels were not hub centric, most aftermarket wheels are not in my experience. Their lug holes were larger than normal, and the lugs had a sleeve that fit tightly in these oversized lug holes and they had a shoulder with a metal washer. That would probably be what the original thread starter would need for his wheels, and possibly what I need for mine, haven't figured it out yet.

But those sleeves on those Crager style lug nuts centered the wheel, but they were not acorns, they were washered.

Like these ? Minus the washer ? And these are the version female cuz I run studs in the rotor cuz it’s stronger, I’ll try to find some males when I get a chance

I run these on my Baja bug which has mag wheels all around

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The DRW guys have all kinds of fun with aftermarket wheels and hub-piloting. LOL

I prefer the 16-17" size tires. That's where the price point is. The same 35" mud tire for a 20" rim vs. a 16" comes at a high cost premium. 8" wide wheels are quite versatile.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other issue with 18 inch and 20 inch tires is the load rating and ply rating.
Our trucks are heavy, and we haul "stuff" with them.. any tire wee use needs to have 10 plys, and be rated "load F"...

Rubber band tires on bling rims don't meet those requirements and aren't really safe, in our use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online