Help! What's wrong with my turbo setup, why no boost?

Mikerson

Reaction score
also the tips might be melted off the hot wheel, I see this on over half the turbos I rebuild.
How does one check for this? Don't tell me I have to pull the turbo off again!

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys.What awesome help! Propane, hills, lighter. I can't wait to get back at it. This wedding is in Leavenwort, Wa. though... Could be worse.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure to check the tips on the hot side you would need to pull the turbo and look up inside the exhaust outlet or remove the elbow on the turbo and look at the tips.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
only way to see the hot wheel is to take the turbo off.

do you have ANY exhaust leak sounds coming from around your firewall?

at the up-pipe slip fit joint you will be looking for something along the lines of this..........
You must be registered for see images attach

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine builds boost in park but I have the upgraded exhaust housing and 3" down pipe. Mine also whistles super load, but I don't have an exhaust. I would definitely see what your egt's are and adjust fuel accordingly. If that doesn't work you probably have a bad leak or melted exhaust fins as Russ suggested.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you can do to find boost leaks....

Get a PVC endcap that fits into the rubber reducer on the turbo intake side and a air hose fitting, tap the endcap to accept the air hose fitting and clamp it in place of your intake tube, then set your air compressor regulator to 10psi and plug it in and listen for hissing air leaks and fix what you find...

hot side leaks will have black soot all around them, fix em it you have any.

clear as mud??

a stock turbo will not boost in park and prob barely around the block but you should still see some movement when you floor it.

Also turbos as small as ours only really whistle under load, I have straight piped and I only hear mine when I floor it.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Mine builds boost in park but I have the upgraded exhaust housing and 3" down pipe. Mine also whistles super load, but I don't have an exhaust. I would definitely see what your egt's are and adjust fuel accordingly. If that doesn't work you probably have a bad leak or melted exhaust fins as Russ suggested.

how much boost?

OP, where is your boost line tapped into?

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That soot and white stuff looks like my up pipe where i tried to fix a hole and the leak around the slip joint.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
faulty boost gauge.don't trust it's readings.

I would agree but I have compared it with other gauges. Maybe it's my input location? I am using the small port on the intake snail.

Also, it's probably on the lower side of 5 , probably a solid 3.5-4 ? I'm not sure, I haven't really pushed it to see. I just noticed it was building decent pressure while working on it one day. It was near 5lbs , not sure exactly how much though.

wmoguy

Reaction score
I would agree but I have compared it with other gauges. Maybe it's my input location? I am using the small port on the intake snail.

Also, it's probably on the lower side of 5 , probably a solid 3.5-4 ? I'm not sure, I haven't really pushed it to see. I just noticed it was building decent pressure while working on it one day. It was near 5lbs , not sure exactly how much though.

Port size won't matter. 5psi is 5psi

That's wild. This is thr first idit I have heard of that has positive pressure without a load on the engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online