HELP!!! tranny wont go into gear

McGIDI

Reaction score
Help please....

I have a 4 speed and have bled the clutch numerous times and have a brand new slave cylinder and i am hoping its not the master cylinder... My truck wont go into gear with out me pulling the living hell out of the stick and bearly shifts while i am driving down the road and have to shut the truck off to get it into reverse.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully you got all the air worked out, it can be a bear when installing a new master or slave.

It could be your firewall is cracked. Have someone pump the pedal and you watch the clutch master. If it moves, your firewall is cracked. There is a reinforcement plate to solve this problem. One of our members makes that plate now that it is NLA from Ford...... find it here: http://www.terrapinmfg.com/display.php?prod=14

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also could be worn cross shaft bushings or even the master cylinders pushrod eye bushing..or the actuating arms pin is worn out.

Look up under dash, above throttle pedal and press clutch..is there significant play in the eye? Those wear out and make it nigh impossible to get enough clutch actuation to shift properly.

Start with simple stuff like above...report back results.

If needing a plate due to cracked firewall, there are some tech articles on installing the plate,

If needing a new bushing or arm on cross shaft there is a tech 101 on doing that.

JM2CW