help snap-on MT-1480

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
ive got a lead on a snap-on MT-1480 for $400 but it doesnt have any of the diesel adapters would like to get ahold or a pulse adapter any sugestions or any ideas on where i can get the adapters what i should do it is in exclent condition its on my local snap-on truck thanks for any input

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I would advise you to pass on it. Those parts are more costly than the meter but wait around.. Others will chime in too....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You cant get the magnet probe anymore for the things, I tried when i bought one of those units on ebay, came with a lumy probe, but a bum magnet probe, and the thing won't work without it. They still sell the luminosity probe for about $200

Better off just doing what I did and get a ferret here
for about $157 and that along with any advance type automotive timing light and you're in business. The ferret converts the injection pulse into an electric signal that an inductive timing light will pickup, then you time it like a gasser Set the advance setting on the timing light to 8.5 deg and have someone hold it at 2000 rpm and get your reading ;Sweet
Seriously good setup and a whole lot cheaper than gambling with prehistoric abused snap on MT parts

------Robert

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
thanks a bunch guys i will definatly concider that option to it sounds like im dealing with a tool that is totally out dated and not worth the effort i talked to my matco tools dealer who used to be w snap-on and he is going to check around a bit one more question the pulse adapter from snap-on like the ferret where u use a timing light will that hook up to the MT-1480 in place of the pulse adapters for that unit

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
thanks a bunch guys i will definatly concider that option to it sounds like im dealing with a tool that is totally out dated and not worth the effort i talked to my matco tools dealer who used to be w snap-on and he is going to check around a bit one more question the pulse adapter from snap-on like the ferret where u use a timing light will that hook up to the MT-1480 in place of the pulse adapters for that unit

You couldn't use one of the ferret type pulse adapters to replace the magnet probe that generates the rpm signal on the MT unit, or the Luminosity prope on the MT unit
The magnet probe reads the line on the balancer as it crosses top dead center on #1
The Luminosity probe reads the actual combustion on #1 which is why the reading is measured after top dead center since the actual flash of combustion takes place a little after tdc even though the injection stroke takes place at 8.5 deg before tdc.

The ferret, and the snap on/mac/ and all other versions of the pulse converter that work with timing lights clamp onto the #1 injector line and sense the actual expansion of the line as the injection pulse occours and triggers a piezo sensor which generates an electronic signal to send to the timing light loop that happens exactly on the injection stroke of 8.5 deg BTDC

So the parts would not be interchangable for use as triggering devices for the MT unless you're some kind of electronics engineer and want to spend a few months locked away calculating a circuit to match the delay needed to make the things all line up at all the varrying RPMS , in which case, it might be a fin project :dunno

--------Robert

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
You can use the inductive pickup on the MT1480 with a Mac/Ferret adapter as well, but you still need the magnetic pickup probe, been there, done that. $400 sounds REAL high with no sensors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GaryB

Members online