HELP, quick question...ZF5 Removal

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
1) How many bolts hold the transmission to the motor?

2) Can I take the transfer case and tranny out as 1 piece?? I ask beacuse I can't seem to get the t-case linkage off of the transmission

This is for a 1993 F-350 7.3L IDI Turbo

Thanks,
Casey

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6 bolts for engine to tranny. Take the T-case off, Trust me. I've done it both ways and its alot easier when you unbolt them.

MeanGreen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6 bolts from tranny to engine. Yes, you can as one piece but it is a pain. If I remember correctly, to remove that linkage all you need to do is pry the linkage from the stud, you don't have to remove the bracket. Hopefully I am remembering this right. Do not pull the tran and x-case as one unit unless you have a really good tranny jack, or unless you really have a death wish!
Jerry

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
just make sure you take the 4 bolts off at the shifter to pop it out through the access hole the floor. it will make life much easier, so will taking the transfer off if you can.

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys...I got the linkage popped off the stud and removed the T-case by itself....got 3 of 6 bolts outta the tranny, gonna go at it again in the morning...3 bolts and then the crossmember and it'll be out! The truck is a donor truck so I'm just gonna cut the floor pan to access the top two bolts...Im glad I dont care about the floor pan otherwise how in the heck do you get at those top bolts?!

Thanks Again,
Casey

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
How do you get the top bolts out? Speaking from many hours of fighting with it and many banged up knuckles, just get enough extensions to reach the back of the tranny and a swivel. take out the crossmember and lower the tranny some. put someone in the truck(you have to have the short part of the shifter removed to and be careful cause there are some springs and ball bearings involved somewhere in there and they are a but) and have them guide the socket on the bolts and you get to twist the breakover bar to break them loose. At least that was the easiest way for me with a 2wd

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on the person in the truck to guide the socket... that was a lifesaver on my '93 turbo 4x4

onetonride

onetonride
Reaction score
i took my tranny and transfer case out as on piece... it was a pain for the most part. when i put everything back together i went down to fastenal and got a couple of 9" bolts that matched the ones to mount the tranny back to motor....cut the heads off and when i was gettin close to lining up the tranny i slid the bolts through the tranny and threaded them into the motor..... the bolts acted as a guide and worked out great.... but if you can avoid taking all out as one piece thats the way to go.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I just take the trans crossmember out, let the engine/tranny tip back a bit to gain a clear view of the top bolts, support the engine with a block of wood under the oil pan and I use an impact gun with some long extensions. Piece of cake.

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies...good ideas everything...I would have probably just tipped it down, but I realized that I cutting the floor pan out was easier...truck is being parted so I dont really care about the floor much

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online