Help, overdrive sparatic

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Last weekend, while heading to the inlaw's, the truck started kicking out of O.D. and the torque converter would unlock at the same time. At 60-70 mph was the speeds that this would occurr. I checked the truck over once we made our destination, the only likely problem I saw was the kickdown cable that goes from the throttle assembly to the transmission was sticking at 35-50% when the throttle was at rest.
I'm guessing this would be the culprit, but I'm not well educated on the automatic overdrive transmission's in these trucks, I think it's a 47RE trans? :confused:

Please help!!

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there shouldnt be a cable to the transmission. the only cables i'm aware of on the throttle is the throttle cable and the cruise control cable. the OD is electronic. break out the scanner and check for codes.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
The detent cable that goes to the trans is supposed to control pressure's from what I've been told. I installed a converter lock-up switch on the dashboard and it seems to have cured the problem.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont recall a detent cable to the trans...i could be wrong, we dont see many 12 valvers in our shop. well, sh*t, nevermind. boy do i feel like a retard. nobody around here has an automatic, i have never even worked on an auto 12 valve. thats where my mental picture screwed me up. sorry man, i had a major brain fart

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes