Help! No oil pressure

mack

Reaction score
Hello this is the first real post ive made here and i need any help i can get i started my truck this morning and found that there was no oil pressure and the engine is making a knock knock nock sound i immedietly stopped the engine checked the oil level toped it up started it again no improvement. Truck ran fine yesterday any advice would be appreciated as it is my only running vehicle at this time. My main questions are what could be the cause possibly a clogged pickup? and if i need to pull the pan what is required? My truc is a 1992 F350 xlt 4x4 7.3idi non turbo

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its not likely the oil pump pickup has plugged up and the pump is gear driven so not likely the pump sheared a shaft. More likely the oil pressure regulator in the rear oil cooler header has stuck in the open position. Kind of hard to explain this too. Sometimes you can remove the oil filter and use a small screw driver to free it up. Better question is how many miles are on the injectors? If they have over 100,000 miles they generally felt to be worn out. Reason I ask this is an injector with a weak spring or broken spring will inject diesel very early causing a horrible knock sound simalar to a main or rod knock. As for removing the oil pan with the engine in frame and a 4x4.. Nope. Not enough room. See the bottom of the pan. Well thats where the oil pump pickup is. Also the suction line is bolted to the number 3 main bearing.

mack

Reaction score
Thank you for replying my truck has somewhere between 350000 km and 450000 km previous owner said 400 odometer says 300 not shure which to believe no idea how old injectors are i will try removing the oil filter and looking for this spring any other ideas anyone can provide will be apreciated

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grab a real gauge from somewhere and check your pressure. Dash gauge is an idiot light with a pointer I believe in those years. Did the engine warning light come on too? On the older trucks that's two different sensors I believe. Not sure on yours.

mack

Reaction score
No check engine light but you are right I shuld have a proper gauge the idiot lights and indicators just don't cut it

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you were closer I would ztop by pop the lil plunger in filter header n likely uou would be on your way.

Yours is not the first one whos seen this issue.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
If you're sure it's zero oil pressure I'd be inclined to this oil cooler/filter head. Spring/plunger and passages in there, could be stuck as has been mentioned. Doubt pickup is plugged or pump is broken in such a way to make zero psi. Could be a cracked pickup from vibration maybe.

Also I'll attest to injector knock sounding like a rod knock. Mine did that twice briefly. Sounded like a big block with a rod knock plus bad detonation, then multiply that by a few times. Expected it to window the block in the few seconds it took me to pull over, but mysteriously disappeared and hasn't done it in two years since.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Best guess now from your information I feel the problem is a bad injector. You have way tooo many miles on that set of ibjectors.Now about your first post telling us you have zero oil pressure. How was that determined? As mentioned.. The dash gauges are terrible examples of a gauge. They really just play us a guessing game as to what our engine is doing.

mack

Reaction score
Thank you every one i pulled the oil filter and cleared the filter head seams to have sorted it out ;Sweet so once again thank you every one for your help and advice it really got me out of a jam

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Good to see you found a stuck oil pressure regulator in the rear cooler header. Time to enjoy the ride but change the oil. You might have something in the oil or a failed filter that is causing the regulator to stick. Remember any really cold oil will not pass thru the oil filter but it will bypass the filter. Every idi engine oil system has a bypass just under the filter in the rear header. Reason for this bypass is dirty oil is better than no oil.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Youda thunk it wouldn't get stuck. I mean you know, it is soaked in oil. Lol

Just kidding. I had to. I think I would've cleaned it with some brake klean.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk