help needed

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Broke a connecting rod of turbo engine. Need a replacement badly. Willing to pay or if someone knows where to buy one, please help

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as i posted on your thread on FTE.
your crank is donski
you have bearing material welded to the crank.
time for another engine or rebuild.
it sucks, but its the truth.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a nice crank and set of rods. no spun bearings, and BTW the bolts did not snap , that is plain and simple lack of oil, I would not use the crank again after that much heat in one journal.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sad but when a rod breaks it usually takes the rest of the engine with it. Sounds like you have posted pics over on fte because a member here has suggested a replacement engine because of crank damage. I trust this so untill you post damage pics here I will have to concur.. You need another engine. All idi engines will bolt into these trucks. Only difference is the van oil cooler and drivers side exhaust manifold made ONLY for the van applications. Sorry for the not so good news. To find a turbo rod call a Ford dealer or a Navistar dealer. Westrux is one of the largest international navistar dealers in Ca. The turbo rod has a piston pin diameter of 33mm where the non turbo rods are 28mm. Just because you have a turbo engine it may not have the turbo rods, Many idi engines run a turbo on non turbo rods safely too.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics Brian. This engine is all done. Saving an engine that ran low on oil and water is all but impossible. As for "saving" this crank be turning it.. I do not feel thats possible. I realize main and rod bearings can be purchased as much as 40 under. That does not mean its a good idea to grind a crank that far to save it. I wont run a crank thats more than 10 under. The heat treatment in not much thicker than 30 thousands to start with. And if one rod looks like this and it did run out of oil remember that the crank feeds oil to the rods and the cam bearings. So every bearing and journel is damaged badly.

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cant find any parts or engines where I am. (Alabama right now). Thats why I am posting here

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a pretty clean crank and a set of rods for a NA. I know nothing about them. Shipping would be steep from pa to al but I'd be reasonable on the parts