Help! Im home but the truck isn't

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was sitting at a light today when I started to smell a smell much like burnt rubber but not exaclty. A moment later the truck just shut off. Pushed it off the road and thats where it stayed.

Some electrical still works, windows work, radio, locks, some idiot lights and it cranks fine.

The wait to start light does not come on and I assume the truck is not getting fuel or it would run right???

Any ideas? Is there a way to jump a wire somewhere to open the fuel valve and drive it home? Where is the fuel valve?

Thanks,

-Rob

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you lost both the ability to start and the wait-to-start light, I would suspect the ignition-switch is what you were smelling.

Did you also loose the turn-signals, also ??

You can hot-wire the fuel-solenoid at the injection-pump and hot-wire the starter, probably have to ether it to start, since the glow-plugs are out of play.

Last edited:

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The emergency flashers work, I didn't try the turn signals by themselves. The truck cranks strong when I turn the ignition so I don't need to hotwire the starter. There are two wires going to the injection pump, do I jumper 12 volts to one of them? Which one?

Thanks,

_Rob

Reaction score
The one closer to the front of the truck is the fuel shutoff. Jump 12v there and that will give it fuel, and you don't need electricity anywhere else unless you have an electric fuel pump.

My buddy just got a great deal on an '89 CC for this same reason. He jumpered it and it didn't work though because the solenoid went bad. It was easy to get the cap off and rig it to stay open though.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to jump 12 volts to the glow plugs for a few seconds, I've never used ether to start a diesel, don't want to do it wrong.

-Rob

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well im headed off to try and get it started in a few minutes, thanks for the replies. Is there a reason I can run a wire with 12volts right to one of the glow plug tops to get them warm?

Ya as for the E4OD it was the first thing to go when I bought it, in fact it was broken when I bought it. Once and a while the OD light will flash at me kinda like phantom limb but with a trasmission.

-Rob

KR69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be suprised if you need the glowplugs if you are in florida.

Just a quick short shot of ether will do the job into the intake if it doesn't fire up.

tractorman86

Reaction score
naw just crank it once you get the cyl. jumped. it is probably warmer there than it is here! no glowplugs or ether required. nice catch kr69idi he could have had even more problems.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well worked great, no glow plugs needed, nothing like two good batteries. Thank you guys for all the help, I knew there was a fuel sulinoid I just didnt know where exactly. Now to figure out what could have gone wrong.

Thanks again,

-Rob

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Mine did this once, the CIS (i think) Is right behind the thermo housing and it shorted out. I had to replace alot of fuse links and the CIS too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance