Help, i need a good set of heads???

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
OK, my heads are cracked and the only ones i can find here are A) $250 each used may be guaranteed? B)been setting in back of a ranger for who knows how long rusted no springs and missing a valve? $100+ shop work to get them ready? C)from the guy i got the rad from $200 each but he wants to sell me a 7.3 for $1500 (he seems to think my rings will be shot and i'll be wasting money putting just heads on?) so what do i do? i open for anything?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Check Ebay. I have been watching several complete rebuilt sets for awhile. I wont be bidding on them. Also I have seen "working" sets that look ok too.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Send a PM to towcat, he used to have a bunch of 6.9/7.3 parts around. You are kind of stuck because good used or rebuilt heads are worth some money. It's good your shop guy cares about your money...but how was your oil consumptio before the head job? If you didn't use more than a quart per 500 miles give or take a bit I'd throw a good set of heads at it and call it good. if it was drinking oil, don't expect a head job to fix it. Try and avoid having the heads planed and never let them be milled out of specs. There are definite standards for minimum thickness. The compression could go up too much if they are over planed. Always have the heads checked at a machine shop before throwing them on. If worst comes to worst check with Clearwater Cylinder Head or that New Zealand outfit that makes newly cast heads. Kinda spendy, but maybe worthwhile,
J.D.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
i dont think oil was that bad a deal? i look at my log to see, well i need to add more info in the log? i know i changed the oil right when i got it and drove about 3k and added about 2/3 of the gallon it that time frame? of course then had all the other problems so i did not watch oil that close. thanks for the info

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have a complete (less injector pump and injector lines) motor. It will turn over just shy of a complete revolution, in either direction and then locks up. Seems like a glow plug tip, but I had it running last spring for a short period to move the truck it was in. Anyway, I am going to tear it down and part it out. If you still need a set, pm me. I can get the heads off (using Mel's method of course) and go from there.
Scott

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Cool PM headed your way, I looked at Fleabay and didn't see any thing that looked good? i may just ask the man with the heads to rebuild mine? he wants $1500 for a 7.3, plus my core? so i wonder if he could rebuild mine for that?

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey man you can buy my gray truck. The engine needs rebuilding but I drive it almost everyday, just a little low on power. I'll meet half way if you want it. I'll take $1100 for it, thats what I paid for it, but parts and all I"ve got almost 1700 in it. Tim

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
thats the one with stacks? i might have to take you up on that?
i'm east of raliegh, nc so what would be half way columbia, sc?
let me know?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about that level of oil consumption, that's abouta quart every 600-1000 miles. That was pretty normal for a healthy 6.9. The valve stem seals are weepy and the rings don't make a perfect seal. Goodluck,
J.D.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726