Help broke key and stranded

IH444t

Reaction score
I have no spare key and my key broke with doors locked. Is there a way to change key ignition cylinder out without using a key? I don't want to pay 100 dollars for new key to be cut

wildbillcody97

Reaction score
Have to take the plastic off of the column. Then drill out the center of the ignition tumbler until you hit a little ball bearing (sorry best I can describe) then the whole cylinder will come out and can be replaced. Just be careful, take your time and don't drill to far. Good luck

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Effin i fail phone

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Door locks
How are ya getting to the collum?

wildbillcody97

Reaction score
He said "key ignition cylinder". I was under the assumption that is in the column but I could be wrong.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Yeah, did say stranded and the key broke off in the lock with the doors locked up.

OP, if you have time to replace the ignition cylinder without the key, do it. If you have to drive it, you can always take the shroud of the steering column to expose the actuator rod. You can grab it worth some pliers/channel locks (vise grips are better) and break the cast aluminum piece in the column by pushing the rod down the column. Or drop the column loose and pull the ignition switch out and actuate it manually. Wouldn't break anything, but it would still be a PITA. I wish you luck and a good/cheap locksmith.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Agree, some confusion on what/where broke. If door, either pop rear glass open (break latch, they're available repop), use coat hanger or similar, or if antitheft lock toppers just find the nearest "spare key" (rock). Actually you could probably remove the rear glass to get in without breaking anything? If in ingition cyl, can be done as above but is indeed a PITA. When i swap my manual column in I intend to grind off the pawl that locks the steering wheel. Hate those things. Without that you can quickly and easily be on your way either under the hood or under the column.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no spare key and my key broke with doors locked. Is there a way to change key ignition cylinder out without using a key? I don't want to pay 100 dollars for new key to be cut

Where did you break key off...go to you tube see vids on lock picking and key harpoons

Try rrmovd key take it and part on key chain to locksmith to get new key cut....

I would try harpooning key long before swapping cylinders....

https://youtu.be/63tQH1DIqIw

https://youtu.be/7yfiKOjMIYs

JM7.3CW

Last edited:

IH444t

Reaction score
thank you, i took the key to a locksmith and they re cut the key, im going to figure out the harpooning method

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online