Hello - New Member

nine9six

Desmo Inside
Reaction score
Hello All,

New member here just saying "Hello". I recently inherited my grandfathers 1986 F250. He never drives, and I've always wanted the truck...so when I was visiting for Thanksgiving we made it official.

The truck is all original with the exception of a CB radio and trailer brakes, and had 56,*** miles on it when I drove it home. I thought it must have rolled over a few times, but my dad and grandfather assured me that the ODO is reading correctly. I looked online and it seems that ones that have rolled over have the numbers that are out of square. I just hit 60,000 driving back to FL and all the numbers are just as straight as they could be.

She has AC, Cruise, Power Windows & Locks, Cassette and a Tilt Wheel. Everything works! He had a "Proven Power" Propane system installed...though I haven't thought to use it (and doubt I ever will, TBH).

Before I drove it home he had the rear tank replaced because he claims to have seen a fuel leak in the garage where it was stored. He also had the glow plugs and injectors replaced (with the intention that it'd be one less thing for me to have to worry about) and 4 new tires put on. The day after Thanksgiving we had the water pump replaced because the fan was loose (my dad said the barrings or something like that were shot).

I've been reading on this site for a few days before I got the truck, and every day since. I know absolutely nothing about Diesels, but over the course of a few weeks, I at least have some basic understanding. I have a hard time getting it started in the morning. It turns on for 3 seconds, then stalls. Have to crank on it to get it to fire up. After reading on here, I deduced that I have air in my fuel system. Possibly a leak on those return lines I imagine.

We greased up the places I've read to grease, and I've run two tanks with additives through it. I'm doing an oil change this Sunday, but wanted to drive it a few days (it's not my daily) to free-up any gunk that may be in the engine.

Anyway, enough rambling. Just thought I'd finally make my "Hello!" post after reading for a few weeks. You guys have an immense amount of information on here, and some amazing members. I look forward to getting to know both the truck and the members of this site more over the coming years.

-Justin

PS - If there are any members in the Gainesville / North-Central Florida area, let me know. I'd love for someone who knows a thing or two about these trucks to take a look at it and tell me if anything blatantly obvious needs to be addressed that I'm over-looking.

You must be registered for see images attach

*EDIT* Grammer =)

Last edited:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome! good looking grampa truck you got there!

there are a few FL members here, got to be someone close.

jlwoods99

Reaction score
Nice looking truck, I'm envious, if you saw the moth eaten trucks we get up here. Require a lot of body work :) Welcome to the boards you'll find everyones real pleasant.

Jim

nine9six

Desmo Inside
Reaction score
Thanks! It has a running board on the other side. When I was about 2 my grandfather let me sit on his lap and 'drive' over a rather narrow bridge. Bad decision...

I yoked the wheel hard to the left and drove it off the bridge into an (empty) creek. He owned a few bulldozers and was able to pull it out. Need to get that replaced, but it makes a funny story, anyway. :D

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin if she starts an then dies in the morning thats an air intrustion an mel aka agem on her or Russ typ4 has new return line kits for cheap an are made of high quality stuff I would order a new set an replace them its very easy thing to do.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Justin,

Welcome to Oil Burners, the best place for info on these trucks.

Darn nice looking truck you have there and Kudos to a one family ownership!

Check out the FAQ's the Tech articles and the Hall of Shame, to get some ideas on how to deal with these trucks and where no to go for parts.

Plenty of help here for ya.

Again Welcome

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well thats a fine looking rig you have there. Glad it was garaged too. How long did it sit in the garage. I'm guessing itsan auto trans so that will be a three speed C6. Nothing wrong with that... Probably got a set of 4.11 rear end gears too because its a 3/4 ton. With that low of miles on it you could have left in the original injecters. They don't wear out because they are old 86 year vintage.. They wear down around 125,000 miles. Adding a quart of auto trans fluid to the fuel tanks will clean out the injection pump too. Might check into the fuel filter change here too. They are replaced at around 50,000 miles. Welcome to the forum and please ask before doing any wrenching on the engine. We can help you thru anything you ask about. Installing a motorcraft 1995 oil filter works great. They were made with a finer media for the powerstrokes but they work great in our trucks and vans. Never use a Fram filter.. they just are not very good for any proper kind of filtering.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Welcome to Oilburners. The best place for these trucks. Nice looking truck you have there, and we can all help you keep it running. Again, welcome!!!

John

nine9six

Desmo Inside
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome and the heads-up with the fix the hard starts. I've read about it on here and have simply been too busy to contact those involved for a fix. This will be rectified over the weekend. Were I driving it every day, I'd be all over it, as it's slightly embarrassing in the morning / end of the day.

As for how long it's sat... I'd have to say for at least 10 years. Even before then it'd only get driven from time to time. When I was younger (20-15 years ago) my grandparents would take my sister and I camping at Lake Eufaula with their camper attached, and that would only be once every year or so. Not to say that they wouldn't drive it to the occasional Piggly Wiggly LOL

For the last 10 years (give or take) the truck would only get started when I'd visit (Thanksgiving and / or Christmas). Even then, it might only be for a short idle or a quick spin around the block. Nothing serious. After talking to a few friends, I've found out that the truck sitting like is has is one of the worst things you could do to it. Or so I've been told, anyway.

I've no intention of turning this truck into a "beast-mode towing truck", though I will occasionally pull our 32' racecar setup (Sportmans, for those that run circle-track) whenever our friend with his BEAST F350 FX4 Diesel can't make it. My dad and I have talked about ordering the Banks turbo kit just to bring a little more pep to the engine...but as far as I'm concerned...I could leave it stock and love it. There's more sentimental value here than anything, as my grandfather means the world to me, and this is just how he drove it.

I drive it with no radio on. I simply want to hear the engine. Occasionally I crack one of the 1-40's (one window @ 40 MPH...don't know what the "turn" windows are called) just to get some air (forget the AC, I want to hear it!).

She has some character, and some things I need to get taken care of, but I wouldn't trade this truck for a 2013 Bugatti. I'll never be able to replace my grandfather, and I'll never replace this truck. I just want to make sure I take care of it as best I can. It's delivered enough childhood memories for me. I owe it that much...

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey man, welcome to the forum. Most definitely the best place to get any and all information on these trucks. I've been to many a forum over the years and this is the first one where I actually feel like I belong and matter.

Thats a very nice truck you have, it will serve you well for many years. One nice thing about these IDI trucks is that they were designed for the backyard mechanic and are relatively cheap to maintain and repair for a diesel engine.

The 6.9 of your generation is among the best of them, many changes were made from earlier designs for the sole purpose of reliability. I rescued my 85 from a farm and its served me very well, never complaining about whatever workload I ask of it.

So again, welcome to the forum and enjoy your new-to-you 6.9 IDI for may years to come.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! Congratulations on getting the best year ford ever. I love 86's BC that's what I grew up in. Hope you enjoy it and be able to always be reminded of your grandfather.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online