Hello everyone new to forum

Blackbeard86

Reaction score
Hi,
My name is Bryan. Have a 1986 f250 with an 6.9idi and a 1990 f250 with a 7.3idi. Need to find out some info about the 6.9. Glad to be here.

My question is about oil pressure. On my 6.9 the oil pressure is so great at the filter it leaks out around the seal of the filter to the tune of about 1/2 gallon every 2 to 3 hours of run time. I currently have the engine out (fixing several things on truck so I figured it was a good time to investigate the oil issue).

Here are things I had done before i noticed the issue. I had the heads off to drill out glow plugs. They work now. Once I got the heads back on I noticed I was getting oil in the coolant. I then changed the oil cooler orings and gaskets. Thats when I noticed the leaking around the filter. I thought I might have installed the filter wrong so I replaced the filter with a different brand. Same problem. I decided to keep driving the truck and just check and fill the oil. I have put hundreds of miles on it with oil just pouring out of the filter and no issue with engine or starting as far as I can tell. Its just really cumbersome to be constantly checking the oil because it is ending up in a puddle or as rust proofing on my frame. Any one have any suggestions?

Last edited:

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
welcome to the forum. is the sealing surface on the oil cooler clean and flat? sometimes the old oil filter ring gets stuck on there. in there any nicks where it seals?

Blackbeard86

Reaction score
welcome to the forum. is the sealing surface on the oil cooler clean and flat? sometimes the old oil filter ring gets stuck on there. in there any nicks where it seals?

I just checked it and the sealing surface appears to be flat.