heli-coils

idiburner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey everyone so i am looking at getting a new truck its a 95 PSD 5speed 4x4 he says the HPOP inlet fitting threads are stripped so the truck dosnt run. i was thinking cant i just heli-coil it and that would fix it? or would i be better off replacing the HPOP. thanks guys

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust a helicoil in aluminum at those pressures. Lol
Replace it. Good time to do a little upgrade also.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

idiburner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks. how would i do an upgrade? sorry i am complete new to powerstorke. and would i be able to change the hpop right there in the guys driveway with basic tools? i havnt got the truck yet seeing if its worth it first.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yes, you could.
Terminator engineering has about the best pumps you can get. Kinda spendy though.

paramax55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought the same truck you are describing a couple days ago... as far as a Heli coil goes for reliability... they are MUCH stronger than the original thread. It was not uncommon in the go-carting days to Heli coil the head bolts on a Briggs BEFORE they stripped out as a preventative measure.

That being said, the problem might be finding one with the right thread. I've only seen them in standard coarse thread sizes. Now, if you could find one that fits, what do you have to loose by trying it out? As long as you don't get any aluminum shavings anywhere they shouldn't be, what's the worst that could happen? It won't work?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Upwards of 3000 psi.
I know they can be strong. Be a tough one to keep shavings out of.

paramax55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. Closer to 4,000 from what I've read. But it doesn't matter. If it worked in the aluminum, it will work with a Heli coil. The coil cuts a larger thread in the aluminum - which will be stronger than the original, smaller thread. Then it fills in the gap with stainless steel - again, stronger than the original aluminum. Each part of the repair will stronger than the original, therefore, the repair will be stronger than the original. The biggest trick will be to find the correct Heli coil.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Also not sure if it would make much difference, but I think the metal is fairly thin there.
Maybe if he goes to look at it, he can get a pic.
If very well could just need the fitting replaced. I was thinking more worst case scenario.

paramax55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you would also have a heck of a time trying to get a drill in there without taking the HPOP off. You'd still save a bundle probably if it worked.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
See I would bet it's the fitting. http://img.tapatalk.com/4c1cfd46-b33f-0ba0.jpg
But if the guy told him it's the feed line (which only has outlet lines) plus stripped it, the seller may not even know what he's talking about.
I bet it's the fitting as the hose end can be hard to get started right, and there'd be no reason to remove the inner fitting.

paramax55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my truck for a steal because the guy I bought it from didn't know what was wrong with it. He said it needed a fuel injector, but it's the fuel pump that's bad. It's quite possible that the seller has no clue as to the problem.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Better off replacing the pump. When that line breaks it makes a big mess. You wont be driving it home.:eek:
A basic upgrade would be a 99 and up HPOP. Aftermarket offers some nice upgraded pumps for some extra coin.:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online