Heater Core Replacement - W/O A/C

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
So I've read the heater core tech article but, my truck has no A/C. Sounds like I'm in for a "fun" project cookoo . Anybody have a a write up or words of wisdom??

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
So I've read the heater core tech article but, my truck has no A/C. Sounds like I'm in for a "fun" project cookoo . Anybody have a a write up or words of wisdom??

My 87 doesn't have AC either, it was the easiest heater core I have ever installed. I have read though that they are much different, sorry I can't offer more. On the 87, you go through the glove box and I would guess I could change one in 10 minutes, start to finish, cooling system refilled and all. I will give Ford kudos on how that was made (rare thing for me to do!).

I am sure someone here can lead you in the right direction, they did on mine!

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heater Core

If I rember correctly the older one 80 -86?.
You had to pull the heater box under the hood.
Disconect the heater hoses, heater control cable blower & reistat .
If I rember correctly you have to pull the cowel panel off to get to upper outside nut,
but the rest of the bolts are on the corners. I think top outside nut in the cowel and selftapper ? and bottom are nuts inside.
I havent fulled with one of those in a while.
But I am sure someone else here will be able to help out further.
Good luck
John

oregon dw

Reaction score
I changed the core on my 85 6.9 last year...don't recall anything being hard..I'd have to look at the truck before I'd rely on my memory and try and give instructions. Truck should be home tomorrow and if no one has given an account on R&R , I'll try . It was not a hard job, that's the good news, and the core was only $25 + - at NAPA, some more good news.

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice so far. I haven't started tearing into it quite yet. I'm going to try and finish it this weekend before it gets too cold outside. At least the truck is tall enough so that I can do it standing up. I'd hate to do it on one of my lowered cars - my back would never be the same :eek:

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
Took it all apart and have taken a lot of pictures along the way. Everything has gone well except that the heater core that I got from the parts store is the wrong one :backoff

Took it back and the corrrect part is special order -cuss -cuss

The right part *may* be here tomorrow...

Stay tuned...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online