Header paint on Turbo?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While everything is apart I want to toss some paint on the turbo, manifolds,etc. Will regular high temp. header paint handle the heat from the turbo? I'm not sure exactly how hot they get, but I know they get pretty hot!

Thanks.

-Dallas

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
While everything is apart I want to toss some paint on the turbo, manifolds,etc. Will regular high temp. header paint handle the heat from the turbo? I'm not sure exactly how hot they get, but I know they get pretty hot!

Thanks.

-Dallas

As long as it will atleast stand 1200 degrees

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW I tried doing that with my exhaust manifolds and with my turbo exhaust housing. I'm not sure if I didn't prep it right or what, but the paint didn't last long....it's been flaking off pretty steadily, and now looks almost as if I left it bare.

Not sure what I did wrong (if anything), but FWIW...

RyanDamo

1 IDI 2 Strokes
Reaction score
if theres rust on it already it wont stick at all, go over it lightly with some sand paper then take like a paper towel thats wet with brake cleaner and wipe it down really good

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ceramic coated my turbo housing, exhaust manifolds, turbo manifold and the y pipe, once.
never will peel off and the benifit is more contained heat, improving performance.

Javier

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if theres rust on it already it wont stick at all, go over it lightly with some sand paper then take like a paper towel thats wet with brake cleaner and wipe it down really good

I went a step further...went over the parts quite thoroughly with a wire wheel and wiped down with paint thinner and allowed them to dry out before painting...

Is ceramic coating a DIY?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Until now, I never had much success with so-called Hi-Heat or Header paints; most would be gone after the first trip.

So far, my last experiment has done quite well.

I wire-wheeled and paint-thinner cleaned an exhaust manifold that was NOT ON THE ENGINE.

The paint I used was flat red VHT Flame-Proof Silica-Ceramic Coating 1300-2000*F

I put on several coats.

I did not "bake" it as was recommended.

However, and this may have been partial to my success, it was several days, maybe even weeks, before I bolted the manifold on the engine.

The first few trips, there was this highly disagreeable poisonous chemical odor that permeated the cab; plus, the manifold smoked enough that one would have thought that I had an engine fire.

The smoking has quit and the poisonous smell has all but went away --- or I am just becoming used to it. :rolleyes:

The manifold actually looks better now than when first painted. ;Sweet

By the way, the turbo gets no hotter than the manifold, so whatever will work on the manifold will also work likewise for the turbo.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I used a Product from EASTWOOD on my 83 manifolds. It was like the day i put it on 4 years latter and that was a couple of harsh winters.

They reccomend sandblast and then "bake" on(by putting on your vehicle and running it within 24 hours)

I did sand blast, heated with a torch, then painted . Didin't put manifolds back on truck for about a month, but they looked great.

here is a link. I used the silver stuff
http://search.eastwood.com/search?asug=manifold&w=manifold+paint&p=Q&ts=custom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online