Head Studs on 6.9 without removal

darkbluefoxbody2

Reaction score
I have a nice 1985.5 6.9 that's been sitting on the engine stand for two years. Back then it had a cracked oil pickup tube (low psi) and thats why I pulled it. I installed all new gaskets (Victor Reinz) bearings, and valve seals. (No exguast umbrellas) but "no" studs.
Now I am putting the OEM 1994 093 Ats on it, I don't want to waste a good set of gaskets so any feedback or real world issues would be great.
Should I stud this engine one at a time? Or leave it be? Its not a daily driver but my only CC I have many Ford Idi trucks

Duane

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go for it, if it doesnt work the only thing your out is your time. People do it all the time on running engines in the pickup, it works for them.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So what your telling us is this engine got new gaskets and has sat on a stand for 2 years and never ran... Ok, so what you want to do now is install a turbo and stud the engine. Your testing the norms doing that one head bolt at a time. I don't feel you will damage the head gaskets but cracking the heads is a possiblity too. Its slight but its there. Now about the oil pan. Did you use a cork gasket there or just rtv like the factory used. If you did a cork gasket or any fiber type gasket take it off now. They are a leak waiting to happen. RTV works so much better.

darkbluefoxbody2

Reaction score
Ok, what I did was install all new gaskets and it has set on the stand since then, its a perfect 6.9. I did torque the heads to the recommend additional torque for used bolts using a Snap on torque wrench. Its not been calibrated in years but only used a few times, I was original purchaser.
I am installing the turbo and NOT increasing the boost, I feel safe with the bolts but keep thinking studs are better.

I did use RTV on everything possible, No pan gasket either and all best parts with 7.3 rockers, newer "Champion Diesel?" IP pump and newer Delphi BB codes, ( Have NEW D's too) Banks 3" Dp, 4" with AeroTurbine muffler out in front of rear tire. In a cc, srw, 4.10, Zf5.

Should I just leave it alone? I have an even nicer 6.9 that will be getting studs, cam, intercooler later and possible swap but its my work truck right now.

Duane

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent