Harsh timing rattle first few seconds of running?

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...

What would cause a harsh "timing like" rattle in the first 20-30 seconds of run time? I don't have the cold advance hooked up currently so that's not it...

Could it be air in the supply side?

Sounds very marbley when first started as if the timing is over advanced... then quiets down to a nice normal sounding diesel rattle. Its definitely fuel/timing related as it isn't a mechanical rattle.

Hopefully that makes sense...

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Air intrusion, ??? it can go from nuthin to all out die and alot in between.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. Its only the 2nd time I've started the engine with the new heads so I'm sure its still got quite a bit of air trapped in the lines.

I've got clear return lines and some clear supply sections as well so I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lifter cavitation/ not filled yet?
Heat cycle it ?!

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't be. I'm almost certain its fuel/timing related as it gets worse when I put power to the advance. Sounds identical to a truck that belongs to a friend of mine when he over advanced the timing. Mine goes away after a few seconds and it sounds normal which was leading me to believe its air intrusion.

Either way, I'll take a close look at the fuel system tomorrow. Too late to run the truck again tonight... I have a feeling the 3' of 4" hanging from the Y pipe may wake the wife... and the neighbors... and possibly the dead. Lol

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
huh? You lost me on that one... Not talking about gear rollover or chatter. This is definitely coming from the injectors/pump... I'll see if I can get a video of it or something that sounds close.

Hey I am not one NOT posting audio/video of issue....so jist throwing out ideas.....everyomes idea at thiz point is subosition till eveidence is produced

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck does this occasionally. Exactly how you describe it. I too have clear return lines and a clear injection pump feed line and I've started it from the engine bay and see zero air in the lines. Pretty odd. Sounds like a PSD.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your fine just make sure it's timed correctly , mine did the same thing when I swapped injection pumps on sunday.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I am not one NOT posting audio/video of issue....so jist throwing out ideas.....everyomes idea at thiz point is subosition till eveidence is produced

Indeed it is my wrong doing for not providing an audio sample of said issue. I will try to correct that in the near future. ;)

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have run my truck in the past with the advance unhooked, and was surprised how much it would rattle for the first little bit. Cylinder heat is low and combustion not the smoothest, and the engine is working some because of it. I dont remember how long it took to quiet down, but seems like less than a minute.

Maybe the glow plugs possibly being the hottest spot are reducing ignition lag?:dunno

Black dawg

Reaction score
So ether? that very well could be the rattle, or if you are plugging it in to start it, the cylinders will take just a bit to smooth out without glow plugs.

I bet it will sound fine with working plugs.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok now we see a little more about no plugs working and some "fluid" used to fire it up. Now please tell us if you removed and reinstalled the injection pump during the head replacement.