Hard starts and dies in 1 hour?!?!

Housepainter1

Reaction score
Hi everyone:
Newbie here, and I like these forums. I am looking to buy a 1987 Ford F-250 6.9L Turbo Diesel Centurion. The guy tells me it is hard starting, and then dies about 1 hour after it gets up and running. Sure enough, I took it for a test drive and it did just as he said. It drives along OK, and then after an hour it starts to sputter and then dies. I mean like turning off the key.
What the heck? Any ideas? How could fuel delivery (my only guess) stop after an hour? Maybe not a bargain at 1200 bucks?
Thanks for any input. Appreciate it.

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe its pulling a vacuum on the tank:dunno ??? does it start right back up after it dies or do you have to let it sit

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? I would change it and see if the problem persists.

Good luck

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might also be that injection pump swells internally and can't build pressure after it gets hot. Again does it restart immediately or do you have to wait for it to cool down? For 1200 bucks, CC diesel Centurion, its almost certainly a bargain as long as its got a good powertrain and a decent body.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the lift pump. It's on the passenger side in the front of the engine. See if it's wet with diesel. If it appears dry check the oil and see if it smells like diesel. If that's ok then hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the schrader valve that you will find on top of where the fuel filter is. If no pressure when cranking thenyour lift pump is bad or the other things mentioned above means it is bad also.

If all checks out then replace the fuel filter. If that doesn't do the trick then it would have to be the injection pump.

Housepainter1

Reaction score
I want to say thanks to all of you for answering my post. Very nice people on here! I went ahead and bought it. Man o' man, I hope it isn't the injection pump! The truck has 103,500 original miles on it. Injection pumps last how long?? It does have to set a while after it quits running, and then it re-starts (although a tough start!) I will start with the fuel filter first. The "lift" pump appears dry, no hint of diesel in the oil. I think buying it was a good deal because he put on 4 new tires, 2 new batteries, new glow plugs and controller, etc on it within the last month. I will keep you posted. Should be interesting.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all... If you want to sell it let me know

Second... Congrats

Third... Post some friggin pics!!!!! Centurions are so sweet.

[email protected]

Reaction score
My 88 7.3 had been hard starting for the past few years. We just put in two new batteries, all new GP's, new GP controller, new starter and new battery cables. That was a lot of $$. But, last Saturday it was 20 degrees out when I woke up and went to start it, the glow plugs came on for 13 seconds, the motor cranked less than one second, and it started right up. I think that over time, things slowly got worse and worse on mine, but this has brought it back to life.

Wayne

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online